+/-15V supply shorting?

abhaymv

Joined Aug 6, 2011
Hello,

I'm using the circuit shown in the figure to produce a +/- 15 V supply for powering some op amps. I tested this circuit using a center tapped transformer without any load connected to it. The circuit seems to draw too much current. A 6 A fuse blew, which definitely shouldn't be happening. I implemented this circuit in breadboard and PCB, but the results stayed the same. However, my PSpice simulation says I should be getting a +/- 15 V output.

Narrowing it down, I am getting the +15 V section (when I tried a partial implementation) but the -15 V section seems to be the source of the problem. What am I doing wrong? :confused:

Attachments

abhaymv

Joined Aug 6, 2011
Thanks! I'll try them out! :)

Although I still don't completely get how the bridge rectifiers clash... is it because the ground line both sources and sinks current? (In my understanding of the circuit?)

Joined Nov 30, 2010
It's the connection at C1 and C2. You have one bridge sending its negative there and the other bridge sending its positive there, and they are also connected through the transformer. Too many current paths!

You need to simplify. It only takes 4 diodes to do this job.

crutschow

Joined Mar 14, 2008
The PSpice simulation likely worked because the short circuit just created a very large current but the voltage was still okay, since the components are ideal (diodes that can carry infinite current and not blow). If you look at the diode currents you will likely see very large values.