150VDC power supply

Joined Nov 30, 2010
This site does not discuss powering things without an isolation transformer. That's the rules. No comment on how safe this project is.

bob800

Joined Dec 10, 2011
...ok I was not aware that such discussion was off-limits... Can I ask if most SSTC's use isolation transformers? I do not see them on most schematics but judging from the "rule" you mention, I guess that is exceedingly dangerous?...

I do not want to take any life-threatening shortcuts here--if an isolation transformer is recommended I will use one.

bob800

Joined Dec 10, 2011
Hmmm whenever I try to signup I get "Something went wrong. Try again or contact an administrator". I guess I'll try again tomorrow.

Thanks for the suggestion.

Brownout

Joined Jan 10, 2012
A 1:1 isolation transformer will produce about 170vdc. From there you have to regulate the output of 150v. I know of no regulator IC for 150v, but one can be made from discrete components, just make sure they are better than 150v rated. If you have a 120:108v transformer, you can make an unregulated 150v supply. One way to do this is to use a variable transformer. (variac) Lastly, you might find a transformer for 150v supply, or an complete supply, from an old tube type appliance (TV) I also found alot of 150v power supplies on e-bay.

Last edited: