15000v LED

takao21203

Joined Apr 28, 2012
The electronic transformer I use here is so leaky, if I attach a low current LED and just hold the other end, it will light up...

HF radiation can creep pretty well through isolation, HF/high voltage means some 10s of KHs. Imagine for HF all sort of cables are similar to small capacitors.

If you wind some copper wire around 240V cable, you can also light up a LED. Don't know if it works for 120V, much less maybe.

Joined Nov 30, 2010
One of the diagnostic tools we used on TVs was an NE-2 bulb taped to a plastic diddle stick. (You use it to adjust the magnetic cores in the small coils.) The leads are not allowed to short together. By moving the bulb near the horizontal output section, you could tell if the problem was in the yoke, the flyback transformer, the HV rectifier, or the damper. Very handy use of radiated high frequency energy.

BillB3857

Joined Feb 28, 2009
We used the NE2's to check for RF leakage in radar waveguide joints. There is a long story I could tell about a fellow sailor going to check a rotary waveguide coupling but that is for another day.