13.8kV 60Hz power line problem!!

Nara Shikamaru

Joined Nov 24, 2007
Hey Everybody!!.....i have a question!!........i just moved into a new building......i live in the 3rd floor and when i look outside the window just 2meters of me its the 13.8kV 60Hz power line!!!.......im literaly next to it!!......so the question is......is it dangerous??.......does it present biological hazard???........should i put foil paper for shiellding and cover all my walls??........

beenthere

Joined Apr 20, 2004
Except for absolute magnitude, the electric field around the power line is no different from the fields surrounding the wires in your walls. About all I can say is that I am not aware of any credible research that has found health hazards in living in electric fields surrounding transmission line.

Kind of creepy, having one just outside the window, though. I'm guessing you are in Japan, which is very tight for open space. It sounds like that line should be underground.

rwmoekoe

Joined Mar 1, 2007
i'm interested in this case too. how about electromagnetic interference ( a simple 60Hz field or so ) ? can somebody explain it?

kubeek

Joined Sep 20, 2005
I don´t think that the current is big enough to create electromagnetic induction that could harm you.
Not sure about the elctrostatic part, but that should be ok too, 2 meters seems quite enough. I would just make sure that the big metal parts outside of the window (if there are any) are connected to the ligtning protection.

darenw5

Joined Feb 2, 2008
I wonder if neighbors' computers, TVs, microwaves and all would put a lot of hash on that power line, making bad interference problems for you?

As for safety, i don't totally believe either side of the debate, but i just might be inclined to hang a large metal wall sculpture, or place a large metal bookshelf, right about there, with a good ground connection. Just in case.

Nara Shikamaru

Joined Nov 24, 2007
Thanks everybody!!....and according to thingmaker´s link the biological problems are presented when exposed to power lines above 50kV.....so its ok!!......the line in front of me is 13.8kV......so its ok.....and suggestions of kubeek and darenW5, well....my windows have security iron bars and they are incrusted in the concrete wall!!......thanks for everything!!

kubeek

Joined Sep 20, 2005
Please make sure the iron bars are properly grounded, a ligthning striking the line at some point somewhere else could jump to the bars too.