12volts

gopher45

Joined Sep 1, 2013
hi could some help me please i have fitted a wind turbine to run a 12volt electrical system but cannot find the circuit to connect the battery to a 300watt immersion all i have been told that it requires a stable voltage from the battery

GopherT

Joined Nov 23, 2012
I think you mean "inverter", not "immersion".

Inverters are widely available and cheap. The biggest selection is likely available at automotive parts stores and truck stops. Especially for 12v DC to 120vac inverters.

gopher45

Joined Sep 1, 2013
sorry better be more spacific it is a 12v 300watt imersion heater element what i would like to do is connect this to a battery to heat up my thermal store the battery is conected to a pv and combined with a wind turbine they charge the battery up when either the wind or the sun operates them ,ihave connected these to a charge controller so when the battery is fully charged the controller beaks the contact .what i cannofigure out is the circuit from the battery to the imersion element i think i may have to fit a voltage regulator between the battery and the immersion element

tracecom

Joined Apr 16, 2010
If the immersion element is designed for 12V, I don't see the need for a voltage regulator. Are you asking about how to switch the solar/wind output from the battery to the heater?

MaxHeadRoom

Joined Jul 18, 2013
That is to avoid sulfation of the plates.
That was the reason I asked what the maximum is I would expect a immersion heater to take this without any regulator needed?
Max.

gopher45

Joined Sep 1, 2013
i am asking how to switch so can take the supply from the battery iam thinkinking that if the solar /wind is charging and i connect the battery to the immersion then will this not cause the battery or the wiring to overheat

shortbus

Joined Sep 30, 2009
@gopher45,Some large wind turbines use immersion type heaters to bleed off current after the batteries are fully charged. Is this what you are talking about? If so it is part of a "charge control circuit". Maybe Google can give some ideas, there's a lot of information out there, if you use the right terms when searching.

ian field

Joined Oct 27, 2012
@gopher45,Some large wind turbines use immersion type heaters to bleed off current after the batteries are fully charged. Is this what you are talking about? If so it is part of a "charge control circuit". Maybe Google can give some ideas, there's a lot of information out there, if you use the right terms when searching.
IIRC; "off grid" is a useful keyword.

snowdrifter

Joined Aug 13, 2013
If your wiring overheats, it's not large enough to handle the current demand. That shouldn't happen under any circumstance

You shouldn't need a voltage regulator for the heater, think of it like a large resistor. It's not terribly sensitive to voltage changes. All you'll see is a bit more heat at higher voltages, and a bit less heat at lower voltages.

However, I would invest in some sort of charge controller for the battery.