12vdc to 32.2vdc voltage amp

Discussion in 'The Projects Forum' started by Petresun, Sep 22, 2012.

1. Petresun

Thread Starter New Member

Aug 23, 2012
    Here is the situation...

I have an old '78 XS 750 that I am restoring. The electrical system is unreliable and seems to be the major complaint others have with this model. So to make things easier, I have decided to scrap the factory system and replace it with my own. The only problem I am having is finding a way to step up the voltage from the regulator from 12vdc to 32.2vdc easily. I could rewind the strator to output the higher voltage and depend on regulators or dividers (or both). I could find a transformer somewhere that could give me the required voltage. I have thousands of components sitting here in the workshop that I could use. Every time I find a schematic that uses what I have, it does not work. I thought I had the problem solved when I found a diagram using lm317s and 2n3055s but ended up with a tenth of the voltage I was supposed to?

I am rather new to this kind of thing but have no problem understanding schematics. I have read through quite a bit of the information on this site as well as others and have not found an answer. Any help would be appreciated. If I am unable to find an answer here, I do have a back up plan so no worries. I can use my 12vdc 1.05 Ah LED instead of my 32.2vdc 780 mA Led for my headlight. The second one is twice as bright though.
  2. Dyslexicbloke

Sep 4, 2010
    You would need a boost converter to step up a DC voltage but you are not going to get much help here because there is a strict policy of not discussing automotive modifications.

Sorry ...