12vdc to 110vac

Trell

Joined May 1, 2009
I have to wire a winch so that it is automatic. The winch is 110vac and has a wire for the up and a wire for the down....What I need to do is hook up two switch panels. In each panel there will be a Up and a Down buttons so that the winch will go each way.....Then I will also hook up a limit switch on both ends so the winch will stop where needed. I was thinking of changing over the power so the Panels and Limit Switches are working on 12vdc so it would be a little safer than running 110vac to the switches....I can use relays if I can find something that goes from 12vdc to 110vac. If you guys can help me with the wiring that would be great...also any ideals would help too.
The winch is HERE
http://www.northerntool.com/shop/tools/product_200307347_200307347

Thanks,
Trell

SgtWookie

Joined Jul 17, 2007
It would not be safe to make that power winch automatic.

The buttons are "dead man" switches for a reason; someone has to monitor what's going on whenever the motor is running.

thatoneguy

Joined Feb 19, 2009
You would need a 2,000+Watt inverter. 1650W continual from link above (15Amps@110V), add headroom. A capable inverter is in the $250 to $600 range, depending on quality and true sinewave output.

I' guess I'm thrown by the 12V and inverter requirement.

Solutions such as This or This pop into mind when thinking 12V and 2 ton winch.

Please clarify end use/application and environment.

Trell

Joined May 1, 2009
The winch is hook up to a lift basket kind of like a elevator that goes from floor to floor and there is a door on each floor that has to be closed before the winch is turn on.....

Kermit2

Joined Feb 5, 2010
Sounds like a situation for Solid state relays. You can switch 12VDC @ the relay and let it do the 110VAC switching. The limit switches are a MUST and the motor should be fused with a slo blo with a rating that will be exceeded if the motor stalls for more than 1 sec.

A safety interlock on the elevator door closure mech should be used as well. No operation unless the door is shut and secured.

If people will use this device then DO NOT DO IT. There are specific laws governing people and elevators. If for merchandise or equipment then you are ok. Also, there are OSHA requirements about visibility of warning signs and marking of areas in which personel should never stand or pass through.(like underneath the device)

And you thought this would be a simple circuit sketch and a pat on the back hmm? :)

Trell

Joined May 1, 2009
No People are going to use this, just merchandise
The solid state relays sounds good but, where do I get them and what kind do I need....I am trying to think of a way to wire this with being automatic, I think this may be a little hard for me and the forum so I may have to make it a push buttons with limit switches to make it stop where needed. I would still like to make the switches 12vdc with a relay to send 110vac to the motor.
Thanks for all the help guys

jpanhalt

Joined Jan 18, 2008
This is sounding more dangerous with each interchange. Low voltage control (usually 24 VAC) is extremely common, perhaps even the rule. Yet you don't seem to have heard about it. Winches can be dangerous. If they are single phase, they probably do not reverse instantly. Think about it. For instance, the winch is going up. The operator realizes "oops" and wants down, so hits down. Winch continues up and ignores the limit switches, which are wired to interrupt the "up" voltage. That is just one scenario. Either buy a professional unit (Granger) or get some help. BTW, I saw that exact scenario happen 26 years ago. The operator was no dodo, but he was not an engineer either.

This forum is a good place for help, but you will need to draw a schema of how you plan to wire it.

John

Trell

Joined May 1, 2009
Just two.... one at the top and one at the bottom so the basket will stop at the end and line up with the floor

beenthere

Joined Apr 20, 2004
A reasonable safety switching arrangement will not allow the winch to run unless both doors (you do have doors?) are closed and latched.

Last edited:

Trell

Joined May 1, 2009
you got it ,,,,all I have to do is make it so the doors have to be closed before the winch will operate. I think this will be safe....but now I am tring to make up the wiring diagram