12vdc motor timed/controlled power burst

Justinwat

Joined Dec 15, 2008
I'm working on a 12vdc project that is using a CD tray motor to open and close a small door. I would like to use it with a 4 channel 12v remote control switch so that I can open and close it by remote.

The way I have it wired now I need to hit the on button to open it and once it has fully opened I need to hit the off button for that channel to stop the motor from burning out. I have a separate channel dedicated to closing the door with the polarities reversed. It also must be shut off once it is closed.

I would like to be able to open and close the door from one channel without having to shut off the power once the door has reached either limit. I would settle for using 2 channels like I have now, but is there a way to have the power killed automatically once the door has reached it's fully opened or closed position?

I have been reading about capacitors. Am I headed in the right direction?

leftyretro

Joined Nov 25, 2008
"I would like to be able to open and close the door from one channel without having to shut off the power once the door has reached either limit. I would settle for using 2 channels like I have now, but is there a way to have the power killed automatically once the door has reached it's fully opened or closed position?"

When you think about it that is the same requirements of most electric garage door opener circuits. They use limit switches at the full closed and full open position to remove power and reverse voltage for the next cycle. Should be possible to do it with one channel remote just like a garage door system and only have to monentarly hit the remote to start a cycle.

Why don't you search for garage door circuits, probably just need two limit switches or optical switches and a couple of multi-contact relays.

Lefty