12vac to 12vdc

Discussion in 'General Electronics Chat' started by jaslyn019, Dec 25, 2012.

1. jaslyn019

Thread Starter New Member

Dec 24, 2012
    good day to all,
    can someone help me on my project VAC to VDC,,i had a motorcycle with a 12VAC up to 14VAC to headlight at high reving with a 2.8amp charging on my battery using clamp tester,,sory guys im a newbie and not familiar to converting VAC to VDC,,some other say a simple rectifier and capacitor will do..but im not with that and not tested it,
    im going to put an HID on my motorcycle(MC) but the charging V is up to 14VDC with a 2.8amps..my ballast nid a 9-15VDC and 3.3amps in normal..i can put my HID wiring straight to the battery but after an hour my battery get drain,,so can anyone help me how to make a 12VAC to atleast 12VDC 3.3amp.thanks
    Last edited: Dec 25, 2012
  2. jmoffat

Jul 18, 2012
    There seems to be a strict rule here about automotive topics. That said I have never seen an instance where the alternator's output was not rectified by a diode assembly consisting of 6 diodes (Internally the alternator is three phase). There should be no AC getting to your battery or solid state electronics.
  3. Duane P Wetick

Apr 23, 2009
    To charge your 12 V lead acid battery, you need 14 vdc (minimum) with a reduction circuit when the battery is nearing final charge. For a single phase rectifier, you will need 14 vdc x 1.11 or 15.6 Vac (transformer secondary voltage)...16 V secondary will do. There are many commercial tapering charger circuits on the market that will allow your battery to maintain a full charge.

Cheers, DPW [ Everything has limitations...and I hate limitations.]