12v to 6v Dc regulators

Status
Not open for further replies.

doublechevy

Joined Sep 11, 2014
I need to convert a 12v dc circuit to 6v dc to operate a power convertible top motor. I have not been able to find a regulator rated at more than 15A can I parallel ( 2) 15A regulators to get 30A

ramancini8

Joined Jul 18, 2012
You can parallel regulators, but you must put some resistance in series with the regulators to prevent a situation called "current hogging". The amount of resistance depends on the regulators. Best to have the motor rewound for 12 volts. More info on the application like duration, frequency, ambient conditions, etc. might get you a better answer.

MrChips

Joined Oct 2, 2009
With linear regulators, half of your energy will be wasted as heat.
You may want to consider using a buck switching regulator instead.

crutschow

Joined Mar 14, 2008
What is the duty-cycle of the motor operation? A power convertible top motor likely will overheat if operated for more than a minute or so at a time.

ian field

Joined Oct 27, 2012
I need to convert a 12v dc circuit to 6v dc to operate a power convertible top motor. I have not been able to find a regulator rated at more than 15A can I parallel ( 2) 15A regulators to get 30A
Take a look at the datasheet/appnotes for regulators such as the 78xx/LM317 etc, some show that you can put a series resistor in the input lead that develops a volt-drop when current is drawn. That voltage can be used to drive a PNP external pass transistor.

Download a few datasheets and you will find example circuits, you need a base resistor for the external transistor to protect the B/E junction - you can use multiple external pass transistors for more current, each transistor needs its base resistor for B/E protection and current sharing.

SgtWookie

Joined Jul 17, 2007
The thread starter is attempting to discuss what is classified here as an Automotive Modification, which are expressly prohibited by the Terms of Service:

6. Restricted topics. The following topics are regularly raised however are considered "off-topic" at all times and will result in Your thread being closed without question:
  • Any kind of over-unity devices and systems
  • Automotive modifications
  • Devices designed to electrocute or shock another person
  • LEDs to mains
  • Phone jammers
  • Rail guns and high-energy projectile devices
  • Transformer-less power supplies

Therefore, this thread will be closed when a Moderator sees it.

Sorry, that's what the owners of this Board have decided, and we must abide by it.

Status
Not open for further replies.