12v timer for car theft prevention?

Discussion in 'The Projects Forum' started by vdubjim, Jan 31, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. vdubjim

Thread Starter New Member

Jan 31, 2011
    Im wanting to learn more about circuits etc.. so i figure i will build something practical.

Im wanting to make something that supplies 12v to an auto coil, then after 60 seconds shuts off power. (so the car will die) BUT it must have a 'override' feature to disable the timer and allow the car to run, via a hidden switch.

i was thinking of starting out with a kit from Apogee.

Would something like that handle it? Whats a good idea for the override aspect?
  2. thatoneguy

AAC Fanatic!

Feb 19, 2009
    With the complexity of newer cars, it is better to get a well designed alarm system professionally installed. There are way too many things to go wrong in newer vehicles, compared to say, anything made in the 80's or prior. Mostly the communications are now digital rather than dedicated wire bundles, making "tapping in" a difficult task.

The idea has a bit of merit, but if you rely on security through obscurity (location of switch), it wouldn't really help at all against a professional thief.

The forum also has rules on automotive modifications, I'm unsure if this fits in or not.
  3. debe

Sep 21, 2010
    This idea will only realy work on very old cars. Modern cars have systems builtin that require a key with a built in transponder that comunicates with the ECU. most disable the fuel injection & startermotor.
  4. vdubjim

Thread Starter New Member

Jan 31, 2011
    You are right, hence i said, coil. Not coilpack, ecu, ecm.

As far as pro thieves nothing stops them.

The premise, thief hot wires car, drives car 60 seconds, car dies. Thief abandons car.
  5. saadhassan

Sep 14, 2011
    what is the modulation scheme used in car alarm system???
  6. bertus

Apr 5, 2008

I am closing this thread as it violates AAC policy and/or safety issues.

6. Restricted topics. The following topics are regularly raised however are considered “off-topic” at all times and will results in Your thread being closed without question:

• Any kind of over-unity devices and systems
    • Automotive modifications
    • Devices designed to electrocute or shock another person
    • LEDs to mains
    • Phone jammers
    • Rail guns and high-energy projectile devices
    • Transformer-less power supplies
    This comes from our Tos:
    Terms of Service
    There will be enough sites where automotive questions can be discussed :
    Member selected automotive forums

Thread Status: