12v Sports Hooter And Amperage Advice

Discussion in 'General Electronics Chat' started by Ugraa, Mar 26, 2015.

1. Ugraa

Thread Starter New Member

Mar 26, 2015
    Hi first time poster here,

I have a few questions, I have planned to put together a small and cheap electronic relay circuit to power a hooter for my local touch football club using 2 small relay boards (see below link). Everything in the relay circuit works correctly and i have tested it with a 12v pc fan. I picked up a twin 12v air horn set that would usually be installed into a car to use as the hooter, however I neglected to take into account how much current the hooter compressor would draw (around 8amps). My 240v AC - 12v DC power supply only provides 1amp. As i have limited electronics knowledge and this was more of a project for myself, I now need to find out how/if I can provide about 8amps to power the compressor.

I started doing a little research and found a DC-DC booster which can apparently increase the voltage as well as amps(see below link). I would only need to maintain the original 12v DC voltage and increase the amps with the on board dial. This sounds too easy... maybe I am over thinking it.

If I were to replace the hooter with something that has a lower amperage draw, It would need it to still be loud enough to hear possibly a few 100 meters away at distant fields.

Final points
    • Is a DC-DC booster a viable option
    • Will finding a power supply with a higher amp output cause damage to my circuit
    • Can a capacitor be implemented into the circuit which the compressor can draw from to run
    I am open to all ideas and suggestions. Sorry if I come across a bit silly, but I am still only very new to the electronics world. Any help will be much appreciated.

References:
    Cheers

Pat

2. MikeML

AAC Fanatic!

Oct 2, 2009
    Power in = Power out minus losses. If you boost voltage, you unboost current. If you boost current, you unboost voltage such that the product of Vin*Iin > Vout*Iout. (Laws of thermodynamics cannot be violated)

Me thinks you need a bigger power supply, or a big lead-acid battery. You can charge a big battery with your 1A supply as a charger; it just takes longer...

3. Ugraa

Thread Starter New Member

Mar 26, 2015
    Ok no worries, thanks for the reply. So if i was to get a 12v power supply that was say 6-8 amps that should do the trick.

4. djsfantasi

AAC Fanatic!

Apr 11, 2010
    If the hooter compressor draws around 8A, you need a supply that can supply 8A or more. 6A won't be enough.

5. MikeML

AAC Fanatic!

Oct 2, 2009
    How often, and for how long are you using the horn.?

If you are using a 12V Sealed Lead Acid battery of about 5Ah capacity, allowing for losses, you could operate the horn for a total of about 20min before the battery needs recharging. I am assuming that the battery is not being recharged during the game (no ac available), and would be recharged at home in between games...

I would need to know more about your 1A supply to determine if it is suitable as a battery charger or not...

6. bwilliams60

Nov 18, 2012
    Why don't you get yourself an air pig and just carry it around in a duffle bag? No compressor or electrical stuff to worry about. (Former hockey and soccer coach :))