12v relay kickback?

Discussion in 'General Electronics Chat' started by boonxiong, Aug 31, 2013.

1. boonxiong

Thread Starter New Member

Oct 17, 2011
    Hi everyone,

It's my first time working with a 12v automotive relay. Do i need to concern about any kickback from the coil?

Thanks

2. Sensacell

Jun 19, 2012
    It depends on what you are using to drive the relay, if you are driving it with a semiconductor, then yes, you should include a diode across the coil, in reverse bias connection.
    This diode will act as a current path when the switch opens, it should be rated for the coil current X 2 at least. Without the diode, the voltage will rise until *something* provides a current path for the inductive spike, usually that *something* will be your semiconductor blowing up.

PackratKing likes this.
  3. THE_RB

AAC Fanatic!

Feb 11, 2008
    They will typically make a back EMF spike of 120-150v or so.

A diode across the coil is a good idea (as Sensacell said). :)

PackratKing likes this.
  4. cornishlad

Jul 31, 2013
    Relay coil suppression is a more complex issue than is commonly supposed. A simple diode is said to be the worse solution as it slows the relay release, encouraging arcing, and can shorten it's operational life. If the relay is controlled by another relay or a simple switch don't bother. The low impedance of am automobile supply line will soak up any back emf. Of course if it is to be switched by a solid state device, in spite of the drawbacks, the reverse bias diode is a common solution.
    There are several informative articles on the net about it. Goggle "relay coil suppression" or similar. here's one: http://www.te.com/commerce/Document...v&DocNm=13C3264_AppNote&DocType=CS&DocLang=EN

PackratKing likes this.
  5. boonxiong

Oct 17, 2011
    Thank you all for the insightful information. Can you guys let me know the right protection?

1. Relay will be activated by connecting the coil directly to a 12v source.
    2. Relay will be activated by a 5v->transistor->12v.

Thanks again.

6. cornishlad

Jul 31, 2013
  7. cornishlad

Jul 31, 2013
  8. boonxiong

Oct 17, 2011
    So I won't be needing any kind of kickback protection if I'm just hooking the coil directly to a 12v?

9. MaxHeadRoom

Expert

Jul 18, 2013
    Probably not needed if it is not being switched, i.e. Energized all the time.
    Although presumably you will remove power at some point?
    If so there will still be a spike at power down.
    Max.