12V power supply, DC motor driver, DC motor

dyllusion

Joined Apr 15, 2011
Hi everyone,

I am working on a circuit that will control a DC motor which moves a mechanical arm up and down. I want to use a 12V power supply and a DC motor driver to control the DC motor. I went to assemble the circuit, and tested the functionality. However, I realized that this particular DC motor draws a lot of current in order to push the mechanical arm up. The DC motor driver has a maximum current rating of 1.6 A...the DC motor drew about 3 A. Needless to say, my chip exploded.

How do I go about configuring the circuit so that I can safely use a 12V (6A) power supply with a DC motor driver in order to control this particular DC motor that draws a lot of current in order to operate? Thanks.

canodw

Joined Mar 29, 2011
What is your driver and purpose of the driver? In my opinion if your DC motor draws a large current then you can simply use a bjt and relay to drive the motor, but if your driver has a special function just add the bjt and relay after your chip driver.

dyllusion

Joined Apr 15, 2011
Thank you for the reply!

The driver being used is a general purpose DC motor driver. I am attaching two switches as inputs so that one switch will make the motor turn clockwise and the other switch will make the motor turn counterclockwise.

canodw

Joined Mar 29, 2011
Use 2 SPDT relay and 2 bjt as driver.. please click the thanks icon on my replies heheh i will send to you later my schematic

canodw

Joined Mar 29, 2011
I attached my simple schematic.. use two SPDT relay. connect normally close to the ground.. ang normally close to the rated positive supply of the motor.

for relay use, use its rated power and the value of resistor below the relay is computed through voltage divider...

Use genereal purpose BJT.

Attachments