12v automotive relay, schmitt trigger, hysteresis, lm358, adjustable 1-4v threshold?

Status
Not open for further replies.

elRey

Joined Feb 23, 2009
Hello all,

Would someone mind giving me advice on a circuit to switch on/off a 12v automotive relay based on a 1v-4v threshold from a 0v-5v signal.

The relay was switched to ground by ECU at one point and has a resistor in the relay itself. (note: I'm reusing an extra relay, NOT altering the function of an existing relay) I measure 60.4 Ohm across the coil leads.

I want to switch on the relay (either to ground or 12v+ whichever is better for the final circuit, BUT switching to GND is preferred) when the MAP sensor reads ~5psi above atm. But I don't want to switch the relay off until MAP reads below ~1-2psi (hysteresis). I'd also like both thresholds to be adjustable.

I'd like the circuit to use either a lm393 or lm358 which I have on hand.
And if possible not require a regulated 5v+ or 12V+. The car and relay will be running ~13.2-14v off the alternator.

The thresholds can be allowed to fluctuate with alternator voltage to simplify the circuit.

Relay will drive a secondary fuel pump.

Thanks in advance!
Rey

Last edited:

Jaguarjoe

Joined Apr 7, 2010
Let me get this straight-
You're turning on the 2nd fuel pump when the boost is equivalent to 4 volts rising and turning it back off at 1 volt falling.
Use the 393 comparators to feed a set/reset flip flop made from 1/2 of a quad NOR gate. The "ON" comparator will go high at 4 volts (or whatever) and set the FF high. The "OFF" comp will go high below 1 volt (or whatever) resetting the FF to low.
Do NOT run this, or any circuit direct from the 12 volt electrical system. The spikes and surges will kill any solid state devices. Use an LM2937 or 2940 regulator.

Jaguarjoe

Joined Apr 7, 2010
Use a CD4001 to build the FF. You can use an NPN like a 2N2222 to drive the relay that will drive the pump, or you can skip the junk in the middle and have the FF drive a logic level MOSFET like an IRL530 and run the pump directly from that. Make sure the MOSFET current rating can handle the starting current of the pump.

bertus

Joined Apr 5, 2008
Hello,

I am closing this thread as it violates AAC policy and/or safety issues.

Quote:
6. Restricted topics. The following topics are regularly raised however are considered “off-topic” at all times and will results in Your thread being closed without question:

• Any kind of over-unity devices and systems
  • Automotive modifications
  • Devices designed to electrocute or shock another person
  • LEDs to mains
  • Phone jammers
  • Rail guns and high-energy projectile devices
  • Transformer-less power supplies
This comes from our Tos:
Terms of Service
There will be enough sites where automotive questions can be discussed :
Member selected automotive forums

Bertus