12v Aquarium fan, led moonlight, top off

coolfish5

Joined Mar 2, 2007
I have few things to setup.
I want cooling fans, either temperature, timer, or light sensor to control them on in the day, off at night.
A LED moonlight, using blue LED's that will run at night only.
And a top off, which should be on 24hrs, using a float switch, and a relay to control a small 120v pump.

My question...
Is there a way to use 1 power supply for this. Or should I just use 3 separate 12v adapters one for each component? That way the fans and the led's can be on normal 120v timers?
Not sure cost wise if trying to use 1 adapter and controlling lights with 12v equipment would cost more than the additional timers.
Any thoughts appreciated.
John

thingmaker3

Joined May 16, 2005
You could use a single power supply if it can source the current needed for both the fan and the top-off solenoid. A single supply would require timers after the supply - one timer with a "form C relay" could route power to either the fan or the LED, depending on time of day.

Are you willing to build something yourself, or do you wish an off-the-shelf solution?

coolfish5

Joined Mar 2, 2007
I am definetly willing to build something. I am however not experienced to this point of being able to figure out what is needed. I have built basic circuits when following a layout, hooked up relays and such. I just haven't played with it in quite a few years.

If there is an off the shelf product that would cover this. I'd be willing to look at it, so long as cost is not excessive.

The top off would only need to trigger a relay for a 120v pump, so I wouldn't think that would be alot of current. The fans I have not purchased yet, but I'd suspect 2 fans 2 1/2" (I have not found any 120v fans in this size) I think it was I measured, so prob less than .5amp.

Maybe a timer like this one would work? http://www.mpja.com/productview.asp?product=16055+SW Not sure if a DPDT would be able to work with switching 12vdc items, while running the timer on 120v. It looks from the wiring diagram that this would be possible.

I'd also be using two of this fan, or something similar. https://www.mpja.com/productview.asp?product=16496+FN

And a 12v power supply like this https://www.mpja.com/productview.asp?product=16716+PS

Thanks for your assistance.
John

rwmoekoe

Joined Mar 1, 2007
I've gone through the link, and i think it's completely ok for your purpose. you can even add ane or two more such devices in parallel if you want.

thx,
robert

thingmaker3

Joined May 16, 2005
The timer will work fine. Just connect the Li Shin's 12Vdc to the common ("COM") screw of one of the sets of form C relay contacts. Connect your moonlamp's V+ to one side of the relay and your fans' V+ to the other. (One of them to "NO" and one of them to "NC.") Connect ground for both fans and moonlamp to ground of the power supply.

coolfish5

Joined Mar 2, 2007
Update. I recieved the timer, power supply and fans.
I'm pleased with the fans and the power supply.
They were out of the DPDT timers, and so substituted a SPDT (with permission of course).

Attached should be pictures of the front and back of the circuit board from the timer. It appears that it may be a shared board for the DPDT, as it appears to have a spot for another relay.

My question is this. If its already got the place for a relay, can I just cut jumper J5, and install a SPDT relay?

Thanks,
John

Attachments

coolfish5

Joined Mar 2, 2007
The relay is a Song Chuan 832A-1C-C which is SPDT, 110vdc coil. Any ideas where I might find a single one of these without spending a fortune?
Thanks
John

coolfish5

Joined Mar 2, 2007
Well yes I could do that. I also have 120v day and night circuits as well. So I was thinking if I could find a second relay for this purpose, I could control the 120v accessories, and the 12v accessories on the 2 relays.
Or I could just switch 120v, and get another power adapter which I suppose might be cheaper and easier.