12V and LED's

deemac

Joined Jan 3, 2009
Hi there, anything I need to know about setting up a lighting rig for my Shed. 12v battery and 2 x 24 led's car bulbs, intend to use as emergency use, short term, maybe hook up a 6v solar panel for trickle charging. Any comments, diagrams, safety issues welcomed. Long time out of the trade, and very rusty with D.C. voltage/circuits. Thanks.

SgtWookie

Joined Jul 17, 2007
Did you mean a 6 Watt solar panel?

That will barely be enough to keep the battery charged, if you started off with it charged - but you'll still need a regulator to ensure that it doesn't get overcharged.

If you ever turn on the lights for 10 minutes, it will take quite a while to charge the battery back up. In the meantime, the battery will be sulphating if it dropped below 12.5v.

What is your battery's AH rating and construction? If it's an automotive battery, it won't last long if you try to deep-cycle it.

deemac

Joined Jan 3, 2009
Hi Sargentwookie, yes I meant a 6 Watt solar, and a 12v car battery. I spoke to a few guys locally and have opted for a 150 watt inverter(12v to 240v) to run a Lamp off a rechargeable portable pack with 12v car outlet socket. Thanks for your info. 100% for the photo... Deemac.