12V-1000Amp Load

tikki

Joined Dec 22, 2010
Err... I dont think so .. that Big rolls of wire will stand.. Because when we pass a high amount of current... wire will start melt. becoz the copper wires cant handle that much high flow....

Wendy

Joined Mar 24, 2008
If the wire is thick enough it will stand. But that is why I said the buss wires were going to be a pain in the rear. Again, 10 amps paralleled X 100. Or 100 amps paralleled X10. Where it comes together is the problem child.

Quick side story, I was working on a milspec testing table testing military radios (multiple). 24VDC at 50 amps, rated for 200 amps. Due to the nature of this equipment I wasn't allowed to power it down (stupid, but there it is). I dropped a wrench, and I'll swear it veered into the terminals. The moment it touched them it glowed orange (the entire wrench) and fell off. These kinds of currents are nothing to laugh at, they can be impressive and dangerous.

tikki

Joined Dec 22, 2010
Actually I tried to implement the same.. But that resistor one... 10amp resistors and... 100 of them..

But the main problem in them was... the heat... yes we can transfer it from severeal... but when it comes in 100 of them.,... the main thing is heat ... which affects the others... and we dont have that much space to keep them tooo far... .

so that.... while using wires... may be same problem will arrise...

Wendy

Joined Mar 24, 2008
Yes, it is a space heater of the 1st magnitude, which is why I was suggesting running water over it (and the water will get hot). Ever consider melting aluminum cans? You could sell the sheet metal...

For a short while I considered light bulbs. I was thinking a massive sign. 1000A X 12VDC = 12KW That is a heck of a lot of heat, and you haven't even seen what it will do to an electric bill.

If this is indoors you are going to need a chimney arrangement to dump the hot air. I would think about forced air, fans feeding the cool intake of this sucker. They sell the pipes for things like wood stoves.

Gundalf

Joined Jun 22, 2010
First post on here so hoping I don't break any of the unwritten rules...

At Uni we built a load for general purpose use which was not quite the size of this, but would handle 250A so easy to scale.

Firstly remember that you are having to dump 12kW - that's easy - electric showers do it every day you just have to get rid of the water.

Our device consisted of a length of waveguide - probably for 10Ghz with a series of IRF530 FET's soldered to it. These take quite a considerable current - I seem to recall about 20A each if cooled with waterflow and the advantage of course is they can be electrically switched as well. There were if I remember rightly about 30 of these devices on the waveguide outer - the biggest problem was soldering the tabs to the tubing without destroying the devices.

If it sounds useful I'll try and drag more info from my notes.

marshallf3

Joined Jul 26, 2010
Oh, I can beat that. I once saw an experienced mechanic in a hurry trying to touch up the + side connector of a normal car battery with the first wrench he had handy. Even though he had been wise enough to connect the - cable he slipped and when the wrench made a dead short across the battery it welded itself there. Orange my foot, the darn thing was almost white when we all went running. Needless to say the battery had produced a ton of hydrogen gas by then and when the wrench finally melted in half and arced there was a tremendous explosion - sulfuric acid and battery remains all over the place. Every car within about 100' had to be washed as did anyone even near but luckily I had retreated to the office area before it happened.

retched

Joined Dec 5, 2009
Geez. Good thing for ESR. Think about the future when people are replacing the "super caps" in their vehicles. A slip like that will cause a much quicker result of "ouch rain"

marshallf3

Joined Jul 26, 2010
Do not even get me thinking about that, when (and if) I finally put my amps in I'll put a small motorcycle battery in the trunk.

This works very well and one heck of a lot cheaper.

marshallf3

Joined Jul 26, 2010
Not the exact model but this is similar to what I'll be driving the front and rear with, had I shoes on I'd go out in the garage and get the exact model #. Mine's analog and capable of around 168W/ch RMS into 4 ohms per channel with far better distortion ratings, in other words you almost need a fan in your trunk due to the heat but GM's ventilation scheme depends on air going through the trunk so it isn't a problem.
http://www.infinitysystems.com/car/...AP&ser=KAP&Language=ENG&Country=US&Region=USA

I think mine is rated from 10 Hz to 25 KHz at 0.01 THD, I'll look it up later when I feel like finding it.

Also in the line is one of the old "White Series" of JBLs equalizers which I'd also have to find the model # on to reference, it was only built for a short time and not very popular due to the complexity but perhaps the best ever made, either serving as a 24 channel stereo or 12 band 4 channel EQ.

Of course I have competition JBL speakers already installed (and running off the stock radio) but have yet to install an Infinity sub which could be powered by any number of the extra JBL amps I've got sitting around. I really don't need a sub considering the speakers I've already got in there. I could squeeze it under the rear seat but I prefer a true sound far over trying to shake my car apart. The sound stage comes from the front anyway and I've got that more than handled.

http://www.gadget-paradise.com/0049/jbl/automotive/jbl-gti-mkii-component-systems/
talks a bit about the newer versions and I run an extra set of the 08GTi tweeters which are impossible to find anymore. I simply parallel them with the tweeter output of the crossovers that are included with the original 504GTi series That lowers the x-over freq a bit but they can handle it and due to my old age I like a bit more presence as where the door speakers mount in my main car your leg gets in the way of the higher frequencies.

[EDIT:] Someone got a heck of a deal, they still bring near $500 on eBay used: http://forums.vwvortex.com/showthread.php?4113774-FS-JBL-504GTi-components-two-way-5.25-speakers

Don't feel like talking about the rears at the moment, can't remember the model # but they were a limited edition version and thank goodness I've got an extra pair of both.

I've got a garage full of older JBL car speakers, new in the box, if anyone is looking for an older model drop me a line and I'll see what I have.

Last edited: