12F1822 16F1823 Datasheet

tracecom

Joined Apr 16, 2010
Use the stand-alone programming application and the most recent version of its DAT file...
That's what I think I am doing. I downloaded the latest dat file from the Microchip web site, looked at it in Notepad, found the 12F1822, and copied the file over the old file in the PICkit2 folder. But still the standalone app doesn't "see" the 12F1822. I don't know what I am doing wrong.

tshuck

Joined Oct 18, 2012
Did you limit Vpp?

Page 323 suggests dropping the voltage, I typically use s few diodes.

I typically try to program the newer chips with LVP...

Also, make sure you aren't loading the ICSPDAT and ICSPCLK lines...

ErnieM

Joined Apr 24, 2011
Check and recheck the wiring. My favorite problem is to swap the data and clock lines. Approach it with the mindset "the error exists" not "I checked it 2 times so I know it is good."

Wire up a socket and just the programming lines. It's quite possible for the other circuitry to cause problems.

I doubt limiting VPP is necessary. AFAIK the PICkit 2 can adjust it's VPP. The warning on 323 only indicates the ICD2 as a problem.

geko

Joined Sep 18, 2008
My 12F1822 chips arrived today, but my PICkit2 software says, "No Device Detected." Suggestions?
I'm using the PICkit2 stand-alone tool with 12F1822 and other enhanced midrange parts with the following versions.
Application version 2.61.00
Device File version 1.62.14
OS Firmware version 2.32.00

You need to go to Device Family - Midrange - then select 1.8V Min option. Then it will see the Enhanced midrange parts and program with Vpp at ~ 9 volts.

Attachments

tracecom

Joined Apr 16, 2010
Thanks to all of you for your suggestions. It's working now, both with automatic device detection and manual selection. The weird thing is, I didn't consciously change anything since last night. One of two things happened; either some good fairy fixed the problem while I slept, or I was making some stupid mistake last night that I am not making today.

As I think it through, perhaps restarting my computer after downloading and installing the new dat file is the real fix?

Anyway, thanks again for the suggestions.

Last edited:

ErnieM

Joined Apr 24, 2011
Glad it is working for you now.

And personally, I've never given up the belief that fairys exist, they can and do make your projects work if you ask them nice enough.

geoffers

Joined Oct 25, 2010
Hi all,

Hope this isn't considered to be hijacking! I've been looking at the data sheets for these pics and had a couple questions?

Are the int osc accurate enough for serial communication? I've used 18f2523's for serial before and used a crystal as I think I was told the int osc wasn't accurate enough?

Can I use the spi and I2C modules on the same pic? I think the pull ups for the I2C might bother the spi bus?

Cheers Geoff

tracecom

Joined Apr 16, 2010
Hi all,

Hope this isn't considered to be hijacking! I've been looking at the data sheets for these pics and had a couple questions?

Are the int osc accurate enough for serial communication? I've used 18f2523's for serial before and used a crystal as I think I was told the int osc wasn't accurate enough?

Can I use the spi and I2C modules on the same pic? I think the pull ups for the I2C might bother the spi bus?

Cheers Geoff
Geoff,

You are welcome to the thread, but I think you will get more responses if you post a new thread with a better title.

tshuck

Joined Oct 18, 2012
Hi all,

Cheers Geoff
I will second what Tracecom has said; when asking a question , start a new thread.

That said, SPI is synchronous and uses a clock generated by the master, irrespective of any other clock in the system (that's not to say that it can't be the same clock as a system clock). I2C also uses a supplied clock and uses a mechanism to allow a slave device to tell the master that it isn't ready to receive more information yet, though this is not always available. All this to say that synchronous comms don't usually care about oscillator frequency or frequency stability until you start dealing with buffers and clocks of vastly different frequencies.

The internal oscillator is even good enough for some asynchronous communications such as UART, but you'll need to consult the datasheet on the limitations.

Typically, in the 8-bit PICs, the SPI and I2C pins are multiplexed to the same pins on the device, making their use much more difficult.

THE_RB

Joined Feb 11, 2008
As I think it through, perhaps restarting my computer after downloading and installing the new dat file is the real fix?
Yep. Compilers load all the DAT or INF files (for the different PICs) when the compiler starts up.

If you change those files you need to exit/restart the compiler for the changes to take effect. :)