12F1822 16F1823 Datasheet

tshuck

Joined Oct 18, 2012
They are of the more recent breed of PIC, chock full of fun features to read on and on about. ;)

I have taken a particular liking to the 12F1822....

tracecom

Joined Apr 16, 2010
My PIC knowledge is very basic; I was just marveling at the voluminous nature of the datasheet, and supposing what capabilities it must have to require a datasheet of that size.

tshuck

Joined Oct 18, 2012
I really like the MSSP module and the fact it is a 12F family PIC with a USART module. It has capacitive sensing capabilities, and a fixed voltage reference (which comes in handy!), and the data signal modulator.

I haven't used the capacitive sensing, but to have so much capability in such a small, 8-bit microcontroller is pretty cool!

JohnInTX

Joined Jun 26, 2012
My PIC knowledge is very basic; I was just marveling at the voluminous nature of the datasheet, and supposing what capabilities it must have to require a datasheet of that size.
IF you've messed with the 16f midrange stuff, you'll really appreciate the enhancements in the architecture, cool peripherials notwithstanding.

The IO works better with the LAT registers. No more r-m-w issues.
FSRs span the entire RAM, no IRP stuff.
FSRs have pre/post/increment/decrement. Maintaining pointers and moving data is a snap.
The program ROM (data tables, etc) can be read with the FSRs, no more calculating PCLATH, PCL and worrying about crossing ROM banks.
Linear ROM (at least in reasonable ROM sizes, no more fussing with 2K banks).
Linearized GPR access via FSRs. Not as nice as the 18F but way better than midrange.
Double the stack size. Yay. Stack is accessable - double Yay! Overflow/underflow detection too. Nice.
Logical/arithmetic shifts.
Add/subtract with carry/borrow! I'm getting the vapors here..
GOTO spans entire ROM with no banking. BRA for shorter jumps.
Computed calls/gotos in one instruction. Nice.

I still prefer the 18F but have enjoyed working in enhanced midrange as well. IMHO, you'd have to have a really compelling reason to muck around in the older midrange stuff.

Have fun! You'll enjoy this.

MaxHeadRoom

Joined Jul 18, 2013
I upgraded the Picit-2 standalone, but it did not upgrade the device file, is there a way to import this separately?
OK I figured it out.
Max.

Last edited:

tshuck

Joined Oct 18, 2012
Good that you got it. I did a quick search, but couldn't readily find it, and I've forgotten how it's done.

Would you mind posting the process for those that will need to do it (tracecom)?