120 Volt SPCO key fob setup

Discussion in 'The Projects Forum' started by FCguy, Aug 13, 2014.

1. FCguy

Thread Starter New Member

Aug 13, 2014
    Good Morning!

I'm new to the forum. I've been pouring over the internet for a solution to a work problem with limited success.

Here is my problem.

My work just moved into a new warehouse. We have a rolling metal door to protect our glass front door and picture window. It is operated by a key switch. Said key switch, due to office space constructed in the warehouse, is now out of line of sight to the rolling door and it is also difficult to reach (work benches installed now require you to climb on to the bench to get to the switch)

So the easy answer is to move the switch right? Sure. But even better is to get the setup working off of a key fob so the first people to the warehouse don't have to go through the side door.

I've found products from Relay Pros that seem to be where I need to start.

I've emailed them about this board that gives me multiple key fobs to operate two relays. The problem is I want to ensure that accidental fob activation (say in the pocket of the user) isn't able to activate both relays at once (creating either a dead short or some other bad situation). I've emailed the company to see if the board can be programmed so that each keyfob button first deactivates both relays before turning on the related relay, so that pressing button one and holding and then pressing button two and holding will first activate relay one, then deactivate relay one and activate relay two.

I don't think this is possible so here is my next option.

I could acquire this board and drive a SPCO relay so that if both coils are energized at the same time it would default to the center off position.

Aside from that I would have to work out some sort of NAND trickery.

So all that to say I'm pretty sure I need to use the solid state board and a Single pole center off relay. Amperage is TBA but would not exceed 30 amps (120v).

So does anyone know of a SPCO relay that would operate up to a 30 amp load at 120v AC?

2. alfacliff

Dec 13, 2013
    you mean like a garage door opener?

3. FCguy

Thread Starter New Member

Aug 13, 2014
    Powered roller door. No limit switches so no auto up/down. It's operated by a SPCO switch (keyed) currently. It's sort of dangerous at the moment since you can't see the gate operating. Below is an example. They key fob board allows momentary operation.

[​IMG]

4. inwo

Nov 7, 2013
    The normal method is to interlock the two relays. Each coil in series with N.C. contact of the other.

As important as that is, an E-stop is needed for safety. Or at a minimum, over-travel/current switches in case of run-away.

Edit:

What type of motor and control?

5. Dodgydave

Distinguished Member

Jun 22, 2012
    Better to use a couple of contactors like this.

6. alfacliff

Dec 13, 2013
    stanley makes door controls. and safety edges to keep people from getting cut in half too.