120 VAC Auto Reverse Sequential Lights

Discussion in 'The Projects Forum' started by design41, Dec 6, 2013.

1. design41

Thread Starter New Member

Dec 4, 2013
    Help with this circuit - it doesn't work. I had to substitute 2N3904 for Bel 187 because they are not available in the U.S.

http://forum.allaboutcircuits.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=62292&stc=1&d=1386341592

2. Ramussons

May 3, 2013
    It wont. There is a mistake in the circuit. Then thyristors will not fire.

The thyristor requires a +ve trigger between M1 and Gate. The between condition is not met in the circuit.

Ramesh

3. design41

Dec 4, 2013
    Hi Ramesh, thanks for info - my electronics knowledge is limited, can you show me how to correct it?

4. Ramussons

May 3, 2013
    Yes, but not in this forum :mad:

This forum policy prohibits playing around with non isolated power (or words to that effect).

Ramesh

5. Dodgydave

Distinguished Member

Jun 22, 2012
    You need to use an opto-triac MOC3020, to isolate from the mains supply like this

6. t06afre

AAC Fanatic!

May 11, 2009
    Perhaps it would be better to use relays. Depending of the switching speed of course

7. tracecom

AAC Fanatic!

Apr 16, 2010
    I don't think that circuit is a violation of the TOS; there's no transformerless power supply there and no LEDs connected to mains. It's just a circuit that switches mains voltage - a circuit to be careful with, but not a restricted topic.

6. Restricted topics. The following topics are regularly raised however are considered "off-topic" at all times and will result in Your thread being closed without question:

• Any kind of over-unity devices and systems
    • Automotive modifications
    • Devices designed to electrocute or shock another person
    • LEDs to mains
    • Phone jammers
    • Rail guns and high-energy projectile devices
    • Transformer-less power supplies

If You come across a thread or post discussing any of the above topics please report the thread so We can close, and if necessary remove, the offending thread/posts.

design41 likes this.
  8. design41

Dec 4, 2013
    These are triacs and they don't need a connection between the gate and M1. They just need a trigger to the gate.

9. t06afre

AAC Fanatic!

May 11, 2009
    Did you find this circuit on the? Because it is lot of bad circuits ideas floating around in cyber space. And this clearly on of them, it is flawed in many ways

10. design41

Dec 4, 2013
    Yes, I did pull it from an electronics site, but it was a 6 light circuit and I downsized to 3. It seems so simple - the IC 1 & IC 2 circuit is cut and dried being used thousands of times! The triacs need a pulse to trigger and I figured that since I had to substitute Q1-3 that a change in resistor values was in order.