120 v ac to 12 v dc

Discussion in 'The Projects Forum' started by magnumrtawd, Jan 14, 2010.

1. magnumrtawd

Thread Starter New Member

Jan 14, 2010
    This should be easy for you guys.
    I have a 12v dc white led light I want to wire in to my upright vacuum cleaner head light 120vac. The standard 120 v bulb burns out in a couple of weeks.(vibration I guess)
    I was told to get a rectifier and a resister to make a circuit but the info i see here shows I need a transformer.
    Any help would be greatly appreciated. A diagram would be great.

2. Mike33

AAC Fanatic!

Feb 4, 2005
    Well, I understand your desire to get in there and make it work, but look: you'd have to use a transformer to drop the 120V down to a more manageable level. Or use a voltage divider - there are a couple of ways. You'd have to buy a trafo or other parts, and then find a way to (safely) install the stuff inside the vacuum. Then wire up your bulb.
    So now you have this heavy transformer banging around inside, with wires passing over you-don't-know-what and possibly being cut by the revolving brushes, etc.

What say you just use the 120V lamp?? If it's burning out quickly, there may be a problem with the wiring to the lamp, rather than the lamps you are buying. I would trace out the path the wires take and test them for continuity with a DMM (while banging them around...vacuum UNplugged, of course!!!). We all have a tendency to want to modify/fix/tweak something that isn't working (a "workaround"), but if the circuit is messed up, you'd just be complicating it and still not know why it is messed up! ;o)
    Let us know if you find anything 'wrong' in there w/the lamp circuit, then we can better help. Also look up recalls on the thing on Google, maybe others have had the problem and there is a fix or replacement? My 2 cents...

~Mike

3. magnumrtawd

Thread Starter New Member

Jan 14, 2010
    This vacuum is 10 years old and worksbetter then the new ones. The repair shop tells me the design is faulty. If it does not blow at first turn on the sys. is OK.
    I have only used 4 bulbs in ten years with the same result. But at 5$ a pop.
    Its not really important just a little project I've been thinking about.
    You can buy 120v LED nite lites That are very small. But, not as bright as I would like.