12 volts fountain

Lightfire

Joined Oct 5, 2010
Hey buddies!

I found this http://www.discount-pumps.biz/solar-pumps.htm on the internet and it's looks like interesting for me. :)

Well, I had some questions before I will buy one like that. :)

1)
Recommended power source is 4 to 8 AA batteries.
It will work directly from a 12 volt battery (voltaic cell)?

2)
Minimum water depth is 2 inches.
What does it means? 'Depth'? The range of water that will raise?

3) Where should I put this pump? (I mean the recommended place to put)

Well, if you can refer me cheaper pumps, please tell it to me immediately. OK?

P.S. If somebody can illustrate me the position of the pump in the fountain, please do it so. I would great appreciate somebody who did it. :)

LAST BUT NOT THE LEAST

Am I looks like wasting money?

Thanks a lot guys. :)

Last edited:

wayneh

Joined Sep 9, 2010
1) It will work directly from a 12 volt battery (voltaic cell)?
Yes, but that is the upper range of voltage it accepts. If your battery has a charger attached to it, raising the voltage, that could be too high for it.

2) What does it means? 'Depth'? The range of water that will raise?
This means that the pump in the picture is meant to be under the surface of the water. The specification says it will lift water up to 2 ft. It should NOT be allowed to run dry. It relies on the water to cool itself and avoid over-speed.

3) Where should I put this pump? (I mean the recommended place to put)
Up to you. It's just a little pump meant for "desktop" fountains. That means "small".

Lightfire

Joined Oct 5, 2010
The one you are looking for is tiny. It will also have a relatively short lifespan, I figure several months, since everything is made from plastic.
So it might not work anymore after a several months it was used?

Wendy

Joined Mar 24, 2008
Yep. Most likely. Pumps in general tend to wear out fast. Water can wear anything down over time.

I've seen a lot of different types over the years. Quality varies a lot, a decent pump that lasts for years is over $100, and a lot of that is for the motor.

wayneh

Joined Sep 9, 2010
FWIW, there is a small pump in my cat's water fountain. To my amazement it has run continuously for over 10 years, could be close to 20 (I've lived in the current house that long, and have had the fountain a LONG time). The entire device was under $30, so the pump was probably only a couple dollars at cost. So it can be done.