12 volt to 13.5v-0-13.5v centertab

Discussion in 'The Projects Forum' started by piranha3380, Feb 8, 2014.

1. piranha3380

Thread Starter New Member

May 28, 2013
    heya guys i got a project to instal an 5.1 surround into my company van,
    it almost has 8 track so no support for any kind of mp3,

i dont want to alter the van itself so it has to be installed in sutch a way that it can be removed by picking it up and walking away,

now i got this 5.1 that i got laying around and i whant that in my van to connect to my Phone,

it has an 12v 185 watt converter output built in so i can draw power from that, it has to be cheap and working this weekend if possible,

the 5.1 is powered from 230v to 13.5-0-13.5 whit 2.4 amps per pair,
    tryed powering it from a 12 volt battery but it seems (as i feared) to use the 27 volt to power controlls of sorts

i have ferrite torroid coils at hand so any circuit that runs of 12 volts whit an ne555 and a coil whould be most usefull,
    ofcours it has to be a center tab aswel to have the 14-0-14 it whants

any feedback or input whould help alot, i could figgure this out alone but ideas of what whould work or personal input on a project whent wrong is Always appreciated
  2. R!f@@

AAC Fanatic!

Apr 2, 2009
    U need a DC to DC converter as used in car amps. It coverts 12V to ± Bus DC voltage that an amp would require
    Building a DC to DC converter for car use is very tricky and needs experience in this kind of circuits.

Better read this
  3. MrChips

Oct 2, 2009
    Use a 12VDC to 220VAC inverter and power your amp.
  4. tcmtech

Nov 4, 2013
    A basic two transistor self resonant push pull power oscillator may do what you need.

Simple and minimal component count plus easy to use any of your toroid cores as a the base for making a transformer.
  5. Experimentonomen

Feb 16, 2011

Why cant ppl be happy with the stock audio the cars come with from factory which is almost always better than any custom installs anyways.

And 5.1 surround ? BLAHSPEMY!! Such thing have no buissness beeing in a car, in fact 5.1 surround is **** in all regards!

2.0 stereo is where its at, and nothing else.
  6. R!f@@

AAC Fanatic!

Apr 2, 2009
    5.1 Sound is better t0o if you know how to build them.
    With active crossovers and quality amps it's a blast
  7. Experimentonomen

Feb 16, 2011
    Well i've never ever heard any 5.1 that sounds better than 2.0.

For me its 2.0 all the way, i HATE surround sound, its not natural for me.
  8. R!f@@

AAC Fanatic!

Apr 2, 2009
    Well. I made one. As soon as I was using it, someone wanted it.

It's best when you are watching Dolby surround movie