12 volt to 1.4 volt or 110 to 12 volt?

GreenTechGuy

Joined Oct 28, 2010
I need a air pump for a project. I have 2 options i can use a battery powered pump and convert 12 volt dc to 1.5 volt dc or i can take a similar pump that is 110ac and convert to 12 volt. There are a few variables to consider the ac pumps are about $4 cheaper than the batt operated. So with all that said which would come out cheaper?

Second, regardless of which way is determined to be cheaper i need somoeone with some time to actually make this conversion. I need a 400-500 per month. if anyone here is interested in that let me know

wayneh

Joined Sep 9, 2010
You appear to have specific pumps in mind. You'll get better advice if you share their specs, particularly for voltage and current ratings, AND your design constraints that lead you to think you need conversions.

What do you mean about 400 per month?

thatoneguy

Joined Feb 19, 2009
Generally speaking, a 110VAC pump will put out more air or same air at a higher pressure than a pump designed for batteries. Expected lifetime may also be longer depending on the design. The power supply (inverter for 12V - 120V) will add losses and overall use more power due to higher output. This would be a more expensive route.

Battery pumps typically aren't built for 100% Duty Cycle/continual use, generally less output, and less air will be output for the same amount of time that the larger pump is running. Stepping down 12VDC to 1.5VDC is much simpler though. This would be the cheaper route.

Need to know the need/expected use before any useful opinions can be given.

GreenTechGuy

Joined Oct 28, 2010
I did have someone that was building these for me, using a battery powered pump. It is a 1.5 volt pump and we used a pot to reduce that to less than a volt the output of 2l per min was too much. The life span was fine above what i needed. The person that was building them for me took the money i gave him to order parts for 1000 units with and took off. So yes i need someone who can make them for me or at least make the board. The pumps i have in stock are filled with epoxy resin so i dont have a template to build from.

This time around i would like to find someone that is a little more trustworthy ..lol and i would like to weigh the cost comparison between ac converted to dc or dc 12 converted to dc 1.5. both options would have a final pot to precisely tune the pump down from 1.5.

400 units per month minimum. Right now i actually need about 3500 most likely

GreenTechGuy

Joined Oct 28, 2010
Where are you located and what is the total deadline for the job?

What are you pumping? I see air, but what into?
i am in NC but thats not really important the last guy that built them for me was in Mid Glamorgan, UK. The job is continuous not just a one time.

The pump is simply pumping air to aerate a very low rate. roughly 1.2-1.4 Liter per min