12 v regulator

tunlos

Joined Jul 22, 2010
Pls if anyone can help, i need a circuit of a regulator that can regulate an input from solar panel of 17v to an output of 12v which is to be feed into an inverter. the system ampage needed is just about 10Amp.

pls this circuit is urgently needed, anyone should please come to my aid.

thanks

Norfindel

Joined Mar 6, 2008
Great, just 17v 10A. That's 170 watts!!! :eek:

The easy way would be linear rectification, but you would be throwing (12-17)x10 = 50 watts into heat, which probably isn't a good idea at all if you want efficience, so you'll need a switching circuit. I cannot help you with that.

I think that solar panels are intended to be used to charge batteries than in turn power an inverter. In that case, you need a solar-powered battery charger, which should be commercially available.

Here are a lot of solar-related circuits, maybe you find it useful: http://www.educypedia.be/electronics/circuitssolar.htm

schmitt trigger

Joined Jul 12, 2010
Solar panels will have widely varying voltage and current outputs depending on the light conditions, which fluctuate all the time.

As such you cannot expect to drive anything DIRECTLY from a solar panel without the benefit of either: 1)batteries or 2)a grid tie.

Therefore you need first either a 1)solar charge controller or 2) a grid tie inverter. Since it seems that you already have an inverter, then your option is batteries and a charge controller, which will adjust and optimize the power supplied to the battery.
Which in turn will supply the power to the inverter.

Markd77

Joined Sep 7, 2009
If that 17V is a no load figure then you will find the voltage is lower when it is powering a load. If you are lucky it might be around 12V anyway.
Have you got a datasheet or more detailed specifications?