12-hour digital clock

Joined Nov 30, 2010
This is the most astounding thread here since somebody said AG was, "just short of foaming at the mouth" (about the LM741 chip).

I actually bookmarked it for future reference. :D

Attachments

Papabravo

Joined Feb 24, 2006
I know that W has made the threat before, and I never would have made book that any sane person would actually attempt to call his bluff.
You got to know when to hold 'em
Know when to fold 'em...

WBahn

Joined Mar 31, 2012
And it isn't the first time that someone called my bluff only to discover that it wasn't a bluff. I know it's happened twice before here -- I'd like to track down those threads and bookmark them.

Papabravo

Joined Feb 24, 2006
I don't remember the other threads being quite as defiant. Maybe I stopped reading them after the threat because I couldn't believe they would not be taken seriously.

WBahn

Joined Mar 31, 2012
I don't remember the other threads being quite as defiant. Maybe I stopped reading them after the threat because I couldn't believe they would not be taken seriously.
Most didn't follow through.

There was one -- and I can't track it down -- where someone posted their lab assignment and wanted someone to do it for them even though the lab assignment they posted clearly stated that they were to solve the problem by themselves. But the assignment also had them use their student number as part of the design and the poster had to divulge that since otherwise no one could do it for them. The assignment also had the instructor contact information. So I contacted the instructor and the person came back all irate about how I had violated his privacy by contacting his instructor with his student ID. Didn't get a lot of sympathy from anyone here.

WBahn

Joined Mar 31, 2012
I know that W has made the threat before, and I never would have made book that any sane person would actually attempt to call his bluff.
You got to know when to hold 'em
Know when to fold 'em...
It's still undetermined whether any *sane* person ever has.

OBW0549

Joined Mar 2, 2015
I don't think defiance was at work here; more likely, abject cluelessness. There are some cultures in which the concept of "do your own work" simply has no meaning.

JoeJester

Joined Apr 26, 2005
I'd like to see what WBahn wrote ... somehow I don't think it was what the TS wanted.

I think those instructors who received "assignments" from WBahn, check in here now and then to see if their students are here wanting answers.

I use to tell people who were seeking sympathy, it's between shit and syphilis in the dictionary.

Papabravo

Joined Feb 24, 2006
I'd like to see what WBahn wrote ... somehow I don't think it was what the TS wanted.

I think those instructors who received "assignments" from WBahn, check in here now and then to see if their students are here wanting answers.

I use to tell people who were seeking sympathy, it's between shit and syphilis in the dictionary.
That's what my lawyer said to my ex-wife's attorney.

WBahn

Joined Mar 31, 2012
THANK U VERY VERY MUCH @William L. Bahn
I've already said that you are welcome and that it was my pleasure.

What, are you trying to show off that you found out my name? Gee, wasn't that a hard thing to do. What's your point?

I did exactly what I offered to do and I did it at your specific and repeated request. As they say -- Be careful what you wish for.

Bill B

Joined Nov 29, 2009
Geez, I have a working homemade 12 hour clock I built with decade counters, some logic gates, and a crystal in my cube at work. I could send a picture of it to his instructor. I actually used to have it simulated on Multisim with 7 segment displays to show my work too. Honestly, it isn't difficult at all.

WBahn

Joined Mar 31, 2012
It wasn't difficult for you because you spent the time to learn the basics instead of spending it trying to get other people to do your work for you.

WBahn

Joined Mar 31, 2012
I don't think defiance was at work here; more likely, abject cluelessness. There are some cultures in which the concept of "do your own work" simply has no meaning.
There definitely are -- and in many places it is quite institutionalized. In some parts of the world students can turn in a blank homework assignment and what they get back is a phone number written on it. When they call the number they negotiate a payment to have the grader (and sometimes the instructor) do the work for them. In some parts the corruption is so accepted that when you go to a government office there will be a sign on the wall listing the standard bribes to get various services performed.

Sadly the U.S. is starting to head in that direction. We are still relatively corruption free compared to the vast majority of the world, but we have definitely started down that road in earnest.

OBW0549

Joined Mar 2, 2015
Sadly the U.S. is starting to head in that direction. We are still relatively corruption free compared to the vast majority of the world, but we have definitely started down that road in earnest.
I've noticed that also. I used to be very optimistic about the future, now I have my doubts.

Bill B

Joined Nov 29, 2009
It wasn't difficult for you because you spent the time to learn the basics instead of spending it trying to get other people to do your work for you.
That's true. I'm amazed that every time I think I know a lot, something comes along and shows me how much I don't know. Its sad that these people don't realize that the only person they are cheating is themselves. It will catch up to them in time.

Papabravo

Joined Feb 24, 2006
And yet every once in a while we come across a thesis paper that shows absolutely amazing amounts of creativity and overall knowledge. Properly guided and motivated I've seen young people do incredible things. I am optimistic.

WBahn

Joined Mar 31, 2012
It's not that the people today are any less intrinsically intelligent that people fifty years ago, five hundred years ago, or five thousand years ago. As Papabravo remarked, "properly guided and motivated" they are fully capable of amazing things -- probably most so than comparable people were historically. The problem is that the fraction of them that receive proper guidance and the opportunity to become properly motivated is going down, particularly since many subcultures are increasingly doing the opposite.