#12 had an accident

Brownout

Joined Jan 10, 2012
I took one look at Yellowstone, and declared, "When this place burns, it's going to be horrendous". The policy was to never touch anything that dropped off a tree and expect to stop all small fires immediately. ...The result happened in 1988.

It is stopping fires that is the problem. If they were allowed to burn, then the forest would survive as it has for thousands of years before man ever stepped foot in it. And I'm sure some people with college degrees though it was a bad idea, and some without college degrees thought it was a good idea.

Joined Nov 30, 2010
I'm sure some people with college degrees though it was a bad idea, and some without college degrees thought it was a good idea.
But who was in charge of National Park policy? Some uneducated farmer or someone with a college degree?

Hint: The U.S. government doesn't hire high school drop-outs to be the head of nation wide departments.

tcmtech

Joined Nov 4, 2013
Hint: The U.S. government doesn't hire high school drop-outs to be the head of nation wide departments.
Perhaps but how many highly educated morons have any of us had to suffer under in our lives as they are?

Being good at getting grades does not mean that you are good at making correct decisions. It just means you are good at giving a certain person or people the answers they wanted to hear even if they are wrong. :(

That sounds like politics to me.

Many "uneducated dropouts" are the people who could not take the BS and went their own way and personally I have never met a high school dropout who ever did bad for themselves. If anything they are the people excel at learning from their mistakes and adapting to life to make things work.

Brownout

Joined Jan 10, 2012
But who was in charge of National Park policy? Some uneducated farmer or someone with a college degree?

Yeah, I'm sure a high-school dropout would to a bang-up job. :rolleyes: Most farmers have college degrees these days.

THE_RB

Joined Feb 11, 2008
Spoken like an Aussie. :)

Come to Oklahoma, it is nothing but American Native names. After forcing them to move there with the Trail of Tears, the 5 civilized tribes got naming rights at least.
Actually in Australia we have a LOT of native named towns cities and landmarks too.

The part that bothers me is when someone with a political agenda tries to do some type of wind-back of history and decides to disallow the "white man name". Then lots of well meaning people get drawn in as stooges and add credence to a political stunt renaming that was really not needed.

#12 said:
The part that bothers me is the idea that nothing exists unless somebody with a college degree wrote about it, and thousands of bits of good information are being lost because of that belief.
Absolutely agreed. The sad fact is that the current system forces doctors to be not very good at healing things. Proper healing involves a much more holistic approach, compared to cutting people up and masking symptoms with nasty expensive drugs.

Things like laughter and mood and de-stressing have been proven to increase healing rates two or three times, but when did a doctor last prescribe that? He'd be laughed out of business.

So instead he gives you a nasty liver destroying drug that causes other problems in the body, that decrease the overall health and may require other drugs to counter that.

But they are "officially approved" drugs... Approved by whom? Let me guess... Someone that will make billions selling them. They REALLY approve. ;)

Brownout

Joined Jan 10, 2012
Things like laughter and mood and de-stressing have been proven to increase healing rates two or three times, but when did a doctor last prescribe that? He'd be laughed out of business.
Sure he would. My doctor "prescribed" exercise to lower cholesterol and blood pressure. The patient has some responsibility for his health too.

Joined Nov 30, 2010
I dropped 30 pounds and my cholesterol went down to 85 on the same drugs that used to keep it down to 105. If I can lose another 30 pounds, I might have to stop taking the drugs!

tcmtech

Joined Nov 4, 2013
Well my wifes not a temptress. Mostly it's like cutting down a oak tree with a butter knife.

Slow methodical wearing away one tiny piece at a time. :p

Joined Nov 30, 2010
That's basically why I quit women. My immune system starts losing ground after 3 or 4 years of that, "wearing away".

Joined Nov 30, 2010
Still improving. The muscle spasms went through the process of being active for less hours per day until they quit. Now the chronic pain is active less than 24 hours a day. This is the second day that I woke up with no pain. It will be back in a few hours, but it's a prime indicator that I'm still improving.

I have also located the original injury to when I was 10 years old and got kicked from behind. Spending 30 days in pain felt so much like that few days in 1961 that I remembered the first time I felt this. Not genetic, just my past catching up with me.

shortbus

Joined Sep 30, 2009
I hear you. If I knew things were going to hurt so much when I got this old, I'd have not done some of stupid stuff in my youth. :)

Last edited:

Joined Nov 30, 2010
My early education was so dismal that several times I have thought about writing a book called, "Living in a Human Body", but I'm not competent to do that. I just wish somebody had told me things like: Yes, you will get strong enough to break your own bones. Every night that you don't brush your teeth is a night they don't get repaired by your saliva. The only parts that grow back are skin, hair, and nails; lop anything else off and it's gone forever. Injuries accumulate. Pain won't always warn you when you're hurting yourself. Stuff like that.

I never did the popular sports because I'm not built for speed, and I'm really happy about that! I did quite enough damage without intentionally bashing my head and my skeleton into other people.:D

killivolt

Joined Jan 10, 2010
Glad, to know your improving. I haven't been around for awhile took a break from AAC. Came back to read some articles today.

Rear ended by a 2 ton pickup receiving a Double whip lash car accident; 20 years later I just finished installing a Disposal one day and as I performed the work and without thinking I was hanging my back off the ledge of the cabinet this allowed the nerve to slip between the disks; now finished I stood up and I lost all control of my legs and I went straight to the ground.

Since then I have sciatic nerve pain every so often; my disks are getting worn and I have lost nearly 1.5" and yes my muscles are my greatest weakness. They are truly stronger than my frame.

Just a tip that I learned maybe a little message; but a good chiropractor is hard to find at least one that really knows how to help and not to hurt. Having a fracture could really ruin any chance of recovery if a chiropractor does work on you and doing it while inflammation is present is not a good practice at all. I tend to stay away from them and walk or light stretching long after the injury has healed.

Walking in cold water does help a when your able; I have used this product now for over 10 years http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Moringa_oleifera and I purchase it hear. http://moringafarms.com

You might want to cap it. It's a really great anti-inflammatory. Everyone I have introduced this to have really enjoyed the product. Not expensive and a pound of the leaf powered will last months it's under $30 a pound around a teaspoon in the morning is all thats required to receive benefits. If your still on pain meds you won't feel any effects; some people experience a boost in energy levels as well.

An amazing Tree is all I can say; it's used all around the world by several cultures.

Best wishes, #12

kv

Joined Nov 30, 2010
August 30 to September 8...Very minor muscle spasms. Constant mild pain in my butt (L3-L4) that keeps switching sides. I am not feeling safe until it localizes. Not up to walking a mile yet but I can walk with a rhythm and can appear to be normal in public long enough to buy food. If this level of pain never goes away, I can live with it. I've been through so much worse!

I did hire a lawn service. The heat and my age were already limiting me to mowing only half the lawn in a day, anyway. Now, I simply retired from chasing the lawn mower around the yard, but I did do a house call to fix a garbage disposer last night. It didn't cause any damage that I can tell this morning.

Blood pressure down to 124/65 (without taking the pills) means I can quit taking blood pressure medicine. That problem was caused by too much cortisone last year. It took 6 months for the side effects to wear off! Happy it was a temporary condition.

Cholesterol pills cut in half because of losing 35 pounds. Must keep up the good work. :)

This situation is now understood as the nerve-muscle spasm-nerve cycle. I always thought it was just a muscle spasm. Now I know it was always a vicious cycle involving nerves. It just never got this bad before. For a long time, it has been about how much work I do in any 3 day period. If I'm lucky, I will simply limit my activity level and never again do the in-hospital experience. Right now, I can work for about 40 minutes without doing any damage. I'll probably be better each month for several months.

MrChips

Joined Oct 2, 2009
Glad to hear things are improving.

I thought I was lucky to be leading a very healthy life at my age. But then last week I got a severe headache that has made me not so confident and active in the subsequent days. Had to put the unicycling on hold for now. Still waiting for a CT scan to be performed.

You take it easy and hope things get better for you.

Joined Nov 30, 2010
I got an MRI while I was an in-patient. The images are incredible! Can you imagine a magnetic field so strong that you can feel each pulse heating your skin?! :eek:

One quick peek and I'm going, "OMG! They can tell if I have an ingrown hair!"

So, good luck to you. If an image can find the problem, you can get a really good image.