#12 had an accident

Discussion in 'Off-Topic' started by strantor, Aug 15, 2014.

1. strantor

Thread Starter AAC Fanatic!

Oct 3, 2010
    #12 emailed me to say that he suffered a pretty bad back injury and he's effectively bedridden for the foreseeable future. He can't sit at a computer more than a couple minutes, so he won't be on AAC until he gets better.

I didn't want to broadcast this information; he asked if I would disseminate it in the event people started asking about his disappearance, but I don't spend (and won't spend, for at least another month) enough time on AAC to catch any such queries. So here I am, broadcasting it. Sorry #12, I'm sure this isn't what you had in mind. So if anybody was wondering, #12 is in bed, getting well.
    Georacer, Bernard, Metalmann and 17 others like this.
  2. DerStrom8

Feb 20, 2011
    Sorry to hear about the injury. Hopefully he will be able to recover quickly with as little pain as possible.

Best wishes,
  3. MrChips

Oct 2, 2009
    I've noticed his absence for a while and was wondering where he was.
    We miss you #12.
    Hope you get well soon.
  4. tcmtech

Nov 4, 2013
    Been there done that and got the sticker that goes with it. :(

The first time I tore my back up was in 10th grade during basketball practice. I was having a unusually good day and hitting every basket with ease. My normally far better playing buddy was having a off day and at some point decided the switch to football while I was doing layup practices. :mad:

One hard hit from the behind and I was in severe back pain for months. More than likely he ruptured one of my disks but being young and dumb I didn't get it taken care of.

25+ years later it's put me down more times than I care to admit to and for reasons far les than a for a hard tackle.

The worst one was around ten years ago I helping put a new sewer drain field in at my brothers. I went to pick up a drain field section which is plastic and weighs maybe 35 pounds and put myself out for 6 months of which the first three I had to have a full handy capped parking permit because I could not walk.

The second one was about two springs ago. I went to shovel snow off the deck and put myself down again for about 3 - 4 months. One little shovel full that was maybe 10 pounds including the shovel was all it took.

Besides those there are about 8 - 10 more lesser incidents that have crippled me up for weeks or longer.

I'm 40 years old 6' 3" 250#'s of a strong robust muscular build, in good shape and I have a lower back that made of balsa wood. :mad:

You have my sympathy is what I a saying. ;)
  5. JoeJester

AAC Fanatic!

Apr 26, 2005
    Get well #12. You will be missed, but, it's in your best interest to be missed now ... so you can have that triumphant return.
  6. monster_catfish

Mar 17, 2011
    Get well soon, #12. When you have recovered sufficiently, wading the shallow end of a swimming pool is a really good way to gradually tone up muscles and regain flexibility, with no impacts to worry about during the gentle exercise.
  7. Brownout

Jan 10, 2012
    Dude, maybe it's time to start slowing things down a bit. Oh heck, look who I'm talking to :) I wish for a speedy recovery for you, buddy.
  8. PackratKing

Jul 13, 2008
    What Everyone else said... Hang in there 12... motivate as much as you can... don't let it ruin you...
  9. vinnnie

Jan 21, 2013
    sorry but who's #12 ???
  10. nerdegutta

Dec 15, 2009
  11. Lestraveled

May 19, 2014
    Wow, I was wondering about him, I hadn't seen any thing from him lately. Man, I miss your posts. Get well soon.

12. MaxHeadRoom

Jul 18, 2013
    Good question; In the presence of Number 2 and Number 6, Number 12 is challenged to demonstrate that his fingerprints are Number 6's.
    We are still not sure?
    Cult 1960's British TV, you had to be there.:p
    (The Prisoner).
    Last edited: Aug 16, 2014
  13. Alec_t

AAC Fanatic!

Sep 17, 2013
    Best wishes #12.
  14. gerty

AAC Fanatic!

Aug 30, 2007
    Hope you have a speedy recovery, back injuries really suck..
  15. tcmtech

Nov 4, 2013
    I'm not sure who he is either but I have found stickers on and in a number of my clothing items implying that at some point he inspected them. ;)
  16. studiot

AAC Fanatic!

Nov 9, 2007
    There was an updated remake series in the 2009

Oh and #12 I have given you many plus points in the past, but I'm sorry you don't get any for this particualr trick.

Come back soon.

Nov 30, 2010
    Feeling better today. No overt pain this morning, still, fragile.
    The big mystery is that I have no clue what I did wrong. What I call, "normal" chores like chopping up a projection TV with a Sawzall, taking out the trash, sorting tool boxes on the weekend. I think it is just a case of, "went too far this time". Is it ruined forever? I don't know.

I have had my back, "go out" since I was a teenager and thought nothing of it when something felt wrong as I bent over to put some empty cardboard boxes in a trash compactor. My basic reaction is, "Oh Cr@p. That's going to cost me 3 days in bed and a week of minor pain. Wrong. This one turned into, "Help, I've fallen and I can't get up". Two weeks in a hospital and I should have stayed at home. (I have better drugs and better food here.) No kidding. Lost 9 pounds in 5 days because I couldn't even turn my head to drink from a straw. Still, no 5% dextrose IV or anything better than a Vicodin.

Now I need to learn how long to act cautious and get over the idea that I can do anything I want at 63 years old. No more moving furniture, installing 50 gallon water heaters, crawling under dashboards, or standing on a ladder with one foot while I fix an air conditioner in an attic. I guess I just retired from several kinds of work?

Maybe this is a genetic weakness? It's been happening all of my life. Maybe everybody else has episodes of, "bad back"? That would make a good poll. How many people have spent 3 days in bed with a bad back? More than once? More than 6 times? How many people would never dream of timing how long it takes them to pull a truck engine or cutting a 30 foot tall tree into fireplace logs?

Right now, it's more questions than answers and I need to quit sitting in a chair before the spasms need a heating pad.

Thank you for your concern. I'm going to get better, I just don't know how much better.
  18. bertus

Apr 5, 2008

Take care of yourself.
    Don't force anything, it will only make things worse.

19. MrChips

Oct 2, 2009
    I've had three back injuries so far.

One for no reason as far as I can tell except cold air on my back.

The second for just stepping out of a car.

And the third, the most serious, was falling off my unicycle and hitting by back on the edge of steps. That one took me into ER and made me the VIP guest for the night. Every person on duty wanted to come see who was the clown who fell off a unicycle. That one put me away for awhile. Just turning or trying to get out of bed was excruciating.
  20. Electric Al

Nov 6, 2013

Patrick McGoohan ! I was a fan . I have never seen the remake !

Don't think I care too ! !cid_CEF9A3D42FAB4080B0C2C1EDC2D08464@OwnerHP.gif
    Metalmann likes this.