112vac on the top of an electrolytic cap

mrqaman

Joined Nov 2, 2016
Hi Everyone,

I want to know if there is supposed to be 112vac on the top of an electrolytic cap. I have two in the power supply of the washing machine, and one has 112 vac on the top of the cap and the other one doesn't, which one do I change?

Thanks for any help, advice or assistance you might offer.

Mr QA Man

Kermit2

Joined Feb 5, 2010
It may be just a low current leakage. The voltage should collapse to zero if given a low resistance path to ground.

Are these metal can type with a holding strap and sheet metal screws into the chassis?

mrqaman

Joined Nov 2, 2016
No, they are soldered into the main board, right next to the rectifier and motor controller.
Direct drive dc motor for wash, rinse and spin functions, only it doesn't wash, rinse or spin.
The rest of the machine works fine, water fills up, lights flash at the right times, timer function works, etc....

Just the drum doesn't spin and this cap has 112 vac on it's top and the other one doesn't.

blocco a spirale

Joined Jun 18, 2008
Any of the rectifier diodes could have failed short-circuit so you could still have voltage at the output side. I'm surprised that the capacitor hasn't burst if it really is getting 112VAC.

EM Fields

Joined Jun 8, 2016
Hi Everyone,

I want to know if there is supposed to be 112vac on the top of an electrolytic cap. I have two in the power supply of the washing machine, and one has 112 vac on the top of the cap and the other one doesn't, which one do I change?

Thanks for any help, advice or assistance you might offer.

Mr QA Man
Can you post a schematic of the board, or a picture of the wiring diagram, and the voltage reading across the cap with no AC across it, please?

Kermit2

Joined Feb 5, 2010
You need to check the solder connection on the bottom of the board.
If the cap has a broken connection to ground then you could see an AC signal on the case of it.
Use the multimeter to check the voltage across the two pins of the cap where it is soldered in. You should see a DC voltage and may or may not read AC voltage. Check for both.