110vac relay help

Discussion in 'The Projects Forum' started by wfontjr, Feb 23, 2013.

1. wfontjr

Thread Starter New Member

Dec 21, 2008
    I recently made an automatic chicken door opener. I have a 110vac photodetector wired to 110vac relay. When the relay trips it provides 12vdc to a motor to raise and lower a door. The 12vdc power supply keeps failing, only last a day or two. Do I need to provide diode protection or some other protection from the relay kickback? Is that what is killing my 12vdc power supplies?

2. crutschow

Expert

Mar 14, 2008
    Hard to say without seeing the circuit, but relay kickback occurs across the coil of the relay, not the contacts.

What is the power supply?

3. wfontjr

Dec 21, 2008
    thanks,
    the power supply is a wagner 12vdc 5amp from walmart, maybe the motor is pulling more than 5amps?

4. thatoneguy

AAC Fanatic!

Feb 19, 2009
    Do you have a link to the power supply you are using, as well as the motor you are using?

Simpler, output Current/Amp rating of power supply, and stall current of motor.

5. praondevou

AAC Fanatic!

Jul 9, 2011
    Post a complete circuit including motor model.

Motor windings have an inductance and a resistance. Relay contacts bounce when they open or close. Depending on your motor it may create voltage that affects your power supply.

6. wfontjr

Dec 21, 2008
  7. wfontjr

Dec 21, 2008
    chicken door wiring.gif

hope the crudeness does not offend anyone for I am only a chemical engineer, the photodector is just homedepot off the shelf

Last edited: Feb 23, 2013