110v Treadmill PLug into 220V

Discussion in 'General Electronics Chat' started by amshadab, Aug 25, 2013.

1. amshadab

Thread Starter New Member

Aug 25, 2013
    Dear All,
    by mistaken i insert my treadmill plug into 220v power supply. its was giving some noise for a minute, but i didnt understand that and suddenly stop working. i dont know much about electronics. i open the cover and found that transformer get hot. i didnt get any burning smell, after some time i connect it to 110v. its just power on for a seconf and goes down. after few hours later i tried but no result.please anyone can help in this, atleast guide me the best reasonable solution. thanks in advance.
    make and model: strenght master. Model: MA200.

2. MaxHeadRoom

Expert

Jul 18, 2013
    I would guess you have either have a shorted transformer or a shorted SCR or IGBT/powerFET control device on the control board.
    You could disconnect the secondary of the transformer and see if it heats up and stays powered, this at least checks the transformer.
    If there is any bridge rectifiers after the transformer then check those also.
    Max.

3. strantor

AAC Fanatic!

Oct 3, 2010
    Also sometimes they put an MOV across the incoming power to protect against overvoltage. Prolonged overvoltage could have burnt it.

4. ian field

Distinguished Member

Oct 27, 2012
    They usually shatter - leaving pretty much a clump of crumbs between the wire leads sticking up from the PCB.

Mind you - a Nokia monitor I harvested for parts, was fitted with a 1100V MOV on the mains input (230VAC mains) - similar extravagance in over rating for 110V mains, the MOV would have sat to one side whistling nonchalantly while the magic smoke escaped from other things.

5. MaxHeadRoom

Expert

Jul 18, 2013
    As mentioned, I have have usually found MOV's are good for transient suppression but they do not take kindly to prolonged conduction that reaches or exceeds their rating.
    At his point they do blow open and then remain open circuit.
    Max.

6. strantor

AAC Fanatic!

Oct 3, 2010
    Agreed. It's not likely they cause of the observed fault, but it is likely failed if equipped, and should be replaced.