110 Fan wiring question

@GopherT
Any switch connected to the mains must have a modest amount of insulation between you and the electrical connection. But if your hands are wet (or the switch), and you touch it (which in itself is just plain stupid), then in either scenario you would be in parallel with the ground and live. I cant see any scenario where you would be in series with anything unless you put your finger on one side of the switch and then the other.

Overall, switch on the live side = much safer.
Agreed! ---And anyway - even 'idiot proofing' has definite limits!:rolleyes:

GopherT

Joined Nov 23, 2012
I was asking about high-side and low-side switching because I have seen older "how-to" books and example circuits show both options depending on where the source of power is and where the lamp may be. I haven't looked at a book on the topic in 20+ years but I was always surprised there wasn't a standard - apparently there is. Maybe the editing standard of the how-to books didn't have standards.

RE:GFCI/RCD/ELT
I am uncertain as regards the timing of general adoption of such devices...? --- Though I expect they predate me - I don't recall seeing them in the early 80's...:confused:

Best regards
HP

Last edited: