10k ohms Resistor As a volume control

Mr.CiviC

Joined Oct 27, 2010
Hello,
Im working on a project where I need to connect a potentiometer as a sensor. But I dont know how and unfortunately my Potentiometer didnt work. I choosed this type of potentiometer because it have 10 turns and I tested it with multimeter it gives the correct ohms with turning. But once i connect 5VDC to it starts to give me no reading of Voltage and ohms. Maybe there should be some kind of speacial connections to connect it but I dont know about it so could any one share me his idea!
i will show you how I connected it

if you have anyidea please share it here!

MrChips

Joined Oct 2, 2009
What you have shown appears to be correct and should work.
Check your connections very carefully.
Or perhaps you could post a photograph of your setup.

Last edited:

Mr.CiviC

Joined Oct 27, 2010
Well I tested this potentiometer with the multimeter and it reads the ohms very correctly but when I connect the VDC it gives no signal of voltage

MrChips

Joined Oct 2, 2009
Yeh, you already said that in your first post. Do you have any new information to provide that will help us help you?

BSomer

Joined Dec 28, 2011
Are you sure the power supply it functioning properly?

Is your multimeter functioning properly in the voltage setting?

Mr.CiviC

Joined Oct 27, 2010
Multimeter is working properly. when I measure the voltage out of my power supply i dont get any error but the potentiometer is acting with wiered action. I even connected my potentiometer to my Data acquisition and I didnt get the voltage reading.
I found a new way to read with resistance with the data acquisition but I need a current excitation circuit. and that could help me to read the resistance not the volatge with controller
Anyone help?

wayneh

Joined Sep 9, 2010
You've been asked to supply a photo of your actual setup. What you are doing should work, but is failing because of some silly mistake, the kind we all make but are blind to. A photo would allow others here to spot it in a second.

Mr.CiviC

Joined Oct 27, 2010
Thank you all for participating but I think that the seller gave me wrong datasheet for this potentiometer and It worked when I changed the pin numbers.

Close this please