100v vacuum cleaner from Japan for use in the USA

Discussion in 'General Electronics Chat' started by limo, Jan 15, 2009.

1. limo

Thread Starter New Member

Jan 15, 2009
    I brought a very nice vacuum cleaner from Japan back to the USA, thinking it would just work. However, after assembling it together, it doesn't even flinch when I attempt to power it on.

The device spec requires 100v 50-60Hz 1000W. I understand the standard electricity in the US is 110/120v. Could this be the reason why it doesn't power on at all? I thought it should at least work, with a reduced life span for the motor. Could there be a safety mechanism built-in to prevent start up with non-100v electricity supplied?

I am willing to buy a 120v to 100v step down transformer if needed. But as you know, they are bulky and expensive. I don't want to waste good money on a dead weight if it doesn't help. Any suggestion on how I can find out the root cause of this failure?

Thanks all in advance for your input.

2. duffy

Dec 29, 2008
    You need to open it up. I agree that it should at least run, the fact that it doesn't points to a blown fuse or something. It's doubtful a vacuum cleaner would have an automatic voltage detect circuit in it, but it might have an MOV or something that blew out a fuse.