100V amplifier

Discussion in 'The Projects Forum' started by kubeek, Nov 10, 2008.

1. kubeek

Thread Starter AAC Fanatic!

Sep 20, 2005
    Hi,

I need to create an amplifier, capable of producing up to 100V, with input signal of cca 3V.

My idea was to use an opamp and transistor output stage, but I don´t know how to do the feedback so that the response is linear.

Any suggestions?

2. bertus

Administrator

Apr 5, 2008
    Hello,

A 100 Volt amplifier is mostly made with a power amplfier driving a tranformer.
    This used to be done in the past for audio distribution.
    In the homes there was a transformer to bring it back to a lower voltage for the speaker.

Greetings,
    Bertus

3. beenthere

Retired Moderator

Apr 20, 2004
    What kind of load will it feed? What kind of current will it have to supply?

4. kubeek

Sep 20, 2005
    Sorry for the inaccuracy, I didn´t mean a PA distribution amp.
    It is supposed to be DC coupled, and should be able to make a 100V ramp in about 1ms.

The load should probably not be too big, I guess in the range of 10kohm and more. I don´t have any specifics on the load yet as I am just trying to help my friend, but let´s take this as a starting point.

I don´t need the circuit solved with included exact part numbers, what I need is more of a general topology to achieve this.

5. bertus

Administrator

Apr 5, 2008
    Hello,

Here is a link to the leach superamp.
    It is a 270 Watt power amplifier.
    http://users.ece.gatech.edu/~mleach/superamp/
    It is supplied with ± 85 Volts.
    Perhaps you can get some ideas for the higher voltage setup.

Greetings,
    Bertus

6. steveb

Jul 3, 2008
    It's starting to sound like you only need to source current, not sink it. If so, you would not need a push-pull output stage. Do you have any limitations on power supplies and grounding. For example, can you have dual power supplies for the OPAMP +/- 15VDC, with 100VDC for the transistor supply and the load connected to ground?

Are these allowable starting assumptions?

7. beenthere

Retired Moderator

Apr 20, 2004
  8. kubeek

Sep 20, 2005
    Thanks for replies to all. I still don´t have any details, but lets "suppose"

bertus and steveb: I guess the push-pull would be better just to be sure, I was thinking of opapmp on the input, then VAS (voltage amplification stage) and then some classical push-pull follower, and general feedback from the output to the opamp.

Another possibility is a long-tailed pair on the input instead of the opamp, which could make the design a bit easier.
    The thing I need help with is the VAS, because right now I have no idea, mostly what the gate, drain and source resistors should be.

Now this starts to look like a general scheme of opamp/amplifier with feedback, so do you have some materials on that?

beenthere: thanks for the link, but the parts seem to be quite hard to get. The ramp signal is coming from a function generator, so I don´t need the integrator.

9. KL7AJ

AAC Fanatic!

Nov 4, 2008

I'd try a true complementary amplfier with a couple of good high voltage transistors. Use no feedback, so as to keep the slew rate high. Drive it with a simple class A transistor, and voila!

eric