1000 years of Europe

MaxHeadRoom

Joined Jul 18, 2013
Although 1000 years is not a long time in the grand scheme of things, it does re-inforce the idea that humans are tribal animals and it is built into our DNA.
The 20th century attests to that with an estimated 200 to 300 Million died or killed due to it.
The 21st century is not shaping up much different.
Max.

djsfantasi

Joined Apr 11, 2010
Quite interesting. Shows that our limited perception was preceded by many other changes, to form 20th century Europe and highlights the ongoing changes for an unknown future.

tom_s

Joined Jun 27, 2014
i actually like the veggies that say we have to save the planet

planet will still be here long after all intelligent(sic) life has gone :)

jpanhalt

Joined Jan 18, 2008
One's perception of the "quality of life" is highly dependent on one's expectations. Most dogs I know seem pretty happy, as do Danes. There was a TV show a few years back about that (Danes, not dogs, being happy). That is not to imply in the least that Danes are dogs. The point of the show was the importance of expectations.

One thing that I did find striking was how Germany stayed in so many pieces until the latter part of the 19th century.

John

Brownout

Joined Jan 10, 2012
So then would you say that someone interned in a gulag is having a high quality of life as long as he didn't expect something better? Care to check into one to demonstrate?

Sinus23

Joined Sep 7, 2013
So then would you say that someone interned in a gulag is having a high quality of life as long as he didn't expect something better? Care to check into one to demonstrate?
<rant>
That comment was a bit uncalled for if you ask me.

It is about our sustainability and our children's future projects and ventures as far as I think. There is nothing wrong being happy with what you have. But if you were sent to a gulag or living in a similar enviroment then you need to flee by any means necessary.

Remember, the business( And yes the government might be thought of as business) has tried to to sell us lead and all kinds of some other unsavory crap. Not for mine or your sake but for themselves ;)

</rant>

Sinus23

Joined Sep 7, 2013
...But we were going far from the original post. Since I'm born and raised in Iceland I could not, not notice the lack of "my" country in this illustration.:rolleyes:

Other than that great post Bertus.

Brownout

Joined Jan 10, 2012
<rant>
That comment was a bit uncalled for if you ask me.
Then I suppose you don't have an answer to the question. My comments are not about "being happy with what you have." They are about how the health of the planet is inextricably tied to the quality of life. Sure, expectations will lower as the quality of life degrades, but that's not how it should be. We should raise our expectations, not lower them.