100 mpg ...

Joined Nov 30, 2010
You know better than to post that on a site full of educated people.

"a hybrid electric car so efficient that you never have to stop to recharge"
Perpetual motion is banned on this site.

"MacDowell intends to drive an SUV across the country on less than 40 gallons of gasoline."
Why would he need 40 gallons of gasoline if you never have to recharge this machine? Why not give it a beer can of fuel and watch him not recharge for 3000 miles (and then, the rest of his life)?

SLK001

Joined Nov 29, 2011
Not perpetual motion, just a play on words. The Prius never has to stop to recharge, because it is always wasting time at the gas station. Notice that they didn't say that you never have to stop at the gas station. By their wording, my 4 cylinder pickup never has to stop to recharge either - stopping for gas is another thing.

cmartinez

Joined Jan 17, 2007
You know better than to post that on a site full of educated people.

"MacDowell intends to drive an SUV across the country on less than 40 gallons of gasoline."
Why would he need 40 gallons of gasoline if you never have to recharge this machine? Why not give it a beer can of fuel and watch him not recharge for 3000 miles (and then, the rest of his life)?
*sigh* one more time, my friend, you've proved yourself right.

Then again, as an educated person, I interpreted that what the author meant was that the car could go on charging its batteries even when parked.

Now I realise that the target audience was not people like the members of this forum. The intention (maybe) is rather to fan the flames of the common man's imagination (nothing wrong with that, if the end is a noble one)

BUT... one can't argue with numbers, and 100 mpg is something that I'd like to see being accomplished. So we'll have to wait and see.

The inventor is destined either to greatness or oblivion, but nothing in between.

EDIT: it has just downed on me that after a few drinks the quality of my diction approaches that of @Hypatia's Protege ! :)

EDIT #2: I meant to say that it leans to his/her style... I'd never dare to compare my linguistic capabilities to his/hers.

Joined Nov 30, 2010
I would love to see a 100 MPG car too, but not something that looks like a large roller skate.
I've already been wadded up by a drunk driver once. My fondest wish is that I could have found the keys to the 2 ton truck that night.
If you find anything that can power my 4400 pound SUV at 100 MPG, I will be there on the next airplane.

GopherT

Joined Nov 23, 2012
You can take my steering wheel when you pry it from my cold, dead fingers...
I thought you would be "pro-autonomous car".... taking advantage of two handed operation of your firearms while driving. Or, in case of an ambush, you can use two six-shooters at the same time.

In quieter times, you can't be charged with a DWI/DUI if you ae not technically driving.

joeyd999

Joined Jun 6, 2011
I thought you would be "pro-autonomous car".... taking advantage of two handed operation of your firearms while driving. Or, in case of an ambush, you can use two six-shooters at the same time.
So, autonomous vehicles are going to come included with a "tactical driving" switch?

GopherT

Joined Nov 23, 2012
So, autonomous vehicles are going to come included with a "tactical driving" switch?
What accessories would you pay for? It's called consumer-focused innovation, my friend.

Alternatively, we could automate the shooting rather than the driving - your preference. I guess a switch for that would let you decide in each situation.

cmartinez

Joined Jan 17, 2007
And while we're having this discussion, here's a very interesting development on a variant of the Wankel engine:

http://liquidpiston.com/technology/how-it-works/

According to Liquid Piston, this arrangement addresses many of the shortcomings of the Wankel. In particular, it uses fixed seals that eliminate the need to blend lubricating oil into its fuel mixture, which improves its emission performance, while cavities built into the rotor allow for overexpansion of the combusted fuel that increases the engine’s efficiency.