100 foot RF door bell needed

Discussion in 'General Electronics Chat' started by #12, Nov 24, 2012.

Thread Starter Expert

Nov 30, 2010
    Please excuse me for using this site as Comsumer Reports, but I need a remote control door bell for a fragile old lady. She bought one that said, "100 foot range" on the box, then I checked it out and it failed 4 out of 5 times at 25 feet, line of sight, no obstructions.

What I really need is, through two wooden doors, around 2 corners in a cement block structure, at about 50 feet. Anybody seen an aftermarket, remote control door bell that actually works?

ps, the definition of this is: a battery operated, push-button, RF transmitter that is mounted by the front door, and a battery operated receiver that rings a bell if it detects the signal.

Please, no fair reciting the advertising on the box. Only reply if you have used one and found it to be adequet.

Thank you, #12

2. spinnaker

AAC Fanatic!

Oct 29, 2009
    #12 likes this.

Thread Starter Expert

Nov 30, 2010
    Just bumping this because I found one the customer likes and I will go get the brand name of it tomorrow and post it for all of you.

4. Metalmann

Dec 8, 2012
    On a whim, I bought one like Spinnaker posted from China, for less than $6.00.

It works great for 25-30 feet, but haven't tried it at any further distance.

5. inwo

Nov 7, 2013
    The cheap send/rec. button modules on Ebay go 100 yards easy. (at least mine do)

Just in case you can't find a doorbell.

[​IMG]

Thread Starter Expert

Nov 30, 2010
    Read a little slower inwo. It's installed and the customer likes it.

It's called Utilitech #0077745
    I bought it at Lowes.
    Labeled for 100 feet.
    To get matching ringers, you look for a small white sticker with something like 13SE52
    That's the code to match the button with the ringers.

It's installed at about 40 feet with 3 cement block walls in the way.
    Previously, I bought some other brand rated for 100 feet and they wouldn't work consistently at 25 feet with no obstructions.
    Very bad results compared to the label!

Last edited: May 25, 2014
  7. inwo

Nov 7, 2013
    My bad. I thought you meant, "if you like it".:p

#12 likes this.
  8. MaxHeadRoom

Expert

Jul 18, 2013
    On a slightly allied note, I needed the reverse, the door bell to operate the remote, this was due to the fact I work in up to 3 locations on the property and often get deliveries from UPS/FED-Ex etc that require a signature, If I don't hear the bell I have to get the guy to come back and hopefully I am around to hear it the next time?
    So I carry a portable receiver around to where I am working, similar to Ono's unit.
    I wired it so the Bell push also triggers the transmitter, I have a 9v battery operated receiver with surplus audio unit from a toy or some such, When the door bell goes I hear 'Start her UP' :D
    Max.

Metalmann likes this.