10 stage LED sequencer

ale2121

Joined Mar 20, 2009
Hi,
I'm building this circuit . If you scroll down to the 10 Channel LED sequencer, you will find the schematic I'm using. I've got this built exactly the way it's set up in the schematic, only I'm using 9volts of electricity instead of 6. It's going all haywire, lighting up one random LED then all of them, then another random LED, then all of them. What's wrong? Do I need a pulldown resistor somewhere?

I have a few other questions too. If I want to be able to change the speed of the LEDs, do I just replace the 47k resistor with a potentiometer?

AND if I want this to be only 8 channels, how do I eliminate the last two LEDs?

I saw this thread, and tried adding a few bypass capacitors, but I don't know how to do that? or where to put them? I added a few ceramic disk capacitors, one from pin4 on the 555 to ground, and one from pin 16 on the 4017 to ground. Nothing changed.

Wendy

Joined Mar 24, 2008
Have you seen my series of articles?

Introduction to the 555
555 Schmitt Trigger
555 Monostable
555 Hysteretic Oscillator
555 PWM Oscillator
CMOS 555 Long Duration Minimum Parts LED Flasher
CMOS 555 Long Duration Red LED Flasher
CMOS 555 Long Duration Blue LED Flasher
CMOS 555 Long Duration LED Flyback Flasher

The long duration series is my answer to the LM3909 chip, which is now obsolete (which means they don't make em any more).

BTW, the guy whose circuits they are still has a web site, those are copies from his site.

http://www.bowdenshobbycircuits.info/

I have a version of the 10 LED sequencer here...

LEDs, 555s, Flashers, and Light Chasers

Bill's Index

Last edited:

ale2121

Joined Mar 20, 2009
I'm sorry, I have seen your articles. Thank you, but they don't really help me with the schematic I'm working on.

Wendy

Joined Mar 24, 2008
OK, but the article does answer your question. Basically you use the reset line, and tie it to the 9th output, to reset to 0 when the circuit has counted to 9.

Bernard

Joined Aug 7, 2008
I did not see a LED color, if red, increase 120 to 300 with 9V. You can use a pot, about 1 meg for about 1 sec/step on slow end. Have you found the trouble yet? If not give us a schematic as constructed, not origional print.
Again you may have a bad chip.

VooDooCC

Joined Aug 28, 2009
I looked at that a few times, but the main thing that turned me off is the cost, but it looks like it might be a better quality piece. My options are wide open, but I'm trying to keep this budget friendly as well.

Audioguru

Joined Dec 20, 2007
You should use the Cmos 555 instead of the ordinary 555 because the ordinary one causes a 400mA supply current spike that upsets the CD4017 counter.

Bill Bowden (see earlier in this thread) and 4017 datasheets show how to cascade numerous 4017 ICs.