10 Graders and Electronic Exoskeleton

jelloman

Joined Jul 21, 2009
I'm in 10 grade and I'm have the idea of building an electronic exoskeleton as a project. To help the paralyze walk.
My question is, is this do-able?
Is it too hard or complicated for a 10th grader. Please let me know or suggest other ideas that are easier. Thanks.

RiJoRI

Joined Aug 15, 2007
An entire exoskeleton would be a very ambitious project for an EE, let alone a tenth grader! I would suggest you start very simply -- you will get discouraged if you start trying to build an exo for a quadriplegic. Look at robotics to learn about controlling arms, etc. And then look at some type of feedback mechanisms. Perhaps start with some type of glove.

Search the Internet -- I saw an article a few weeks ago about exos being developed for military use. And I believe the military is very interested in exos and prosthetic devices for their injured personnel.

This is an extremely complex field, including biology, anatomy, neurology, materials science, and a lot of other things. Don't let this discourage you; but remember by the time you learn all this, you'll be pretty old! So the thing to do is find people to learn from and to learn with -- effectively make a team to accomplish your goals.

Good luck!
--Rich

count_volta

Joined Feb 4, 2009
I am in a robotics club in college right now. Go join a robotics club and it will significantly help you. Plus its fun. We are working on a robot that plays basketball right now. Its not easy, but fun. ;)

jelloman

Joined Jul 21, 2009
So what would be another good idea for this project instead of the electronic exoskeleton? Not complex but not too simple, something interesting..It's a one year project. Please, I need ideas before August,13.

Wendy

Joined Mar 24, 2008
How about a robotic arm that follows your arms movements? That is still extremely complex, but you could break it down a lot more.

Or simplify it even more, make a sensor that reads your arms various joint positions. A computer program should be able to tell where your knuckles are, this would be a good starting point for the above and more later. Sensors are the first step toward any successful robot.

Both would apply toward the much more ambitious project, without being quite so overwhelming.