1 switch-2 functions

fasteddie911

Joined Apr 18, 2008
Hi,
I'm a beginner and wanted to create a circuit that has a single momentary pushbutton switch that does 2 different functions. I want to set it up so that if I push it once it does one function, but to do the 2nd function I would have to maybe hold it down a few seconds longer, or maybe push it a second time within a certain time period. It would be fine if the 1st function is occurring at the same time as the 2nd function, but not the other way around. Any ideas of how I can do this or if its even possible? thanks!

Pencil

Joined Dec 8, 2009
Many ways to do this. Depends on what type of load you
wish to drive.

A popular IC solution is the 4017 decade counter driving
a couple of relays. Plenty of examples out there.

Some basics (read: not negotiable) with this type of circuit are:

-Decoupling/Bypass capacitors
-Switch debounce
-Protection diodes (across relay coils)
-Transistor drivers (from output pins of IC)

There are other solutions such as "Flip/Flop" circuits
or relay logic.

DerStrom8

Joined Feb 20, 2011
I think the easiest way to do this would be to use a microcontroller, though I understand they are rather daunting at first. Do you know anything about programming?

fasteddie911

Joined Apr 18, 2008
Thanks for the replies. I don't want to do anything too complicated or expensive, but I was thinking about it more and I may just use a configure it with a relay for function 2 in such a way that I want the power reaching the relay for function 2 to be delayed a split second. Such that I push the button once and it does function 1, while at the same time outputting a constant voltage through another output(built into system and not going to function 1), this output is the one I want to delay a split second as it goes to relay for function 2 such that when I go to push the button a 2nd time, the relay flips and function 2 goes on. So how can I go about delaying an input signal/voltage? Thanks.

marshallf3

Joined Jul 26, 2010
You could also use an RC network to a transistor (or MOSFET) to delay turning on the relay. That would mean you'd have to hold the switch button down for a longer period of time before the relay kicked in or, depending on what you're driving you may only need the transistor or MOSFET for function #2