1 more question:

Discussion in 'Homework Help' started by infinitig35, Mar 4, 2008.

1. infinitig35

Thread Starter Member

Mar 3, 2008
    What is one method of changing a count up type of asynchronous counter to a count down type of asynchronous counter?
    thanks all

2. Dave

Retired Moderator

Nov 17, 2003
    Each bit in the counter sequence is represented by a cascaded arrangement of JK flip-flops. If the clock at each subsequent JK stage is sourced from the NOT(Q) output (ref. http://sub.allaboutcircuits.com/images/04349.png), then taking Q as the output gives you a count-up counter and NOT(Q) gives you a count-down counter.

So the answer is toggle between taking your outputs from Q to NOT(Q).

Dave

3. infinitig35

Thread Starter Member

Mar 3, 2008
    Sounds good Dave. Thanks alot.

4. Dave

Retired Moderator

Nov 17, 2003
  5. infinitig35

Thread Starter Member

Mar 3, 2008
    By the way Dave. I'm taking an electrical engineering course: the title of the book is "Digital Systems, Principles and Logic". All these questions I post on this board will be graded, so hopefully all the answers are correct. Thanks for all your help Dave.

:)

6. Dave

Retired Moderator

Nov 17, 2003
    We offer no guarantees and ultimately you have responsibility as to whether to trust the answers or not. However I can assure you many of the members here answer from experience and knowledge.

Good luck with your course. I hope you get time to check our E-book Volume on digital electronics.

Dave

7. infinitig35

Thread Starter Member

Mar 3, 2008
    Well, I've found a great site here and planning to stay for a long time. Hopefully I can provide some help as I learn more.
    So are you an engineer Dave?

Nhat

8. Dave

Retired Moderator

Nov 17, 2003
    Welcome aboard! I hope you make use of the resources and experience we have here at AAC.

Yes I am from apprentice through undergraduate and postgraduate degrees. Sadly my current position makes me do more maths than engineering; hopefully once my current research proposal goes through I can get back to frying stuff and programming!

Dave

9. infinitig35

Thread Starter Member

Mar 3, 2008
    Sounds great Dave. Hopefully, I'll be where you're at someday. Dave, did you get to check out my other thread, there's some more questions in the other one. I think they're a little trickier. Thanks

10. Dave

Retired Moderator

Nov 17, 2003
    No problem, I will have a look later when I get home from work.

Dave