1-bit ACD circuit

Reloadron

Joined Jan 15, 2015
These are the linked circuits and as drawn the circuits will indeed work but I do not see how the LEDs can work? I see the anode of each LED through a 470 Ohm resistor to Ground and I see the cathode of each LED tied to the collector of the 2N2222 transistor. Since the emitter of each transistor is tied to ground and the LED anodes are tied to ground how will either of those LEDs ever illuminate? The collector of Q1 would have to go more negative by a few volts than ground and I just can see that happening. Maybe it's just me but I can't see the LEDs in either the Light or Dark sensing circuits doing anything.

Also, the circuits seem to be powered by 9 volts but the relay coils reflect 6 volts?

Ron

MrAl

Joined Jun 17, 2014
Hi,

In some theory a 1 bit ADC is considered to be a comparator, or vice versa. A good example of this is found in the theory of the Delta-Sigma analog to digital converter.

1 bit implies that we either have a 0 or a 1 as output, and for the input it means the input is either above or below a certain threshold. That's exactly what a basic comparator does. Looking at the Delta-Sigma converter however shows us that this can have enormous consequences, where we might be able to get something like 16 bit ADC resolution (with the addition of a few other simple parts too) by using a statistical technique based on what that 1 bit device detects over time.

Reloadron

Joined Jan 15, 2015
yes, The LED should be connected in the opposite direction. I simulated the circuit by doing so and it works fine.
Then explain the LED operation to me. You reverse the polarity of the LED and it is basically in series with the relay coil and may glow faintly unless the transistor comes on in which case it will go out? Tell me what relay coil resistance you used in your simulation? For the LED to actually do much of anything the LED polarity needs reversed and the LED and series resistor should be placed across the relay coil. Then the LED will illuminate fully when the relay coil is active. So tell me what coil resistance you used for the relay as I want to simulate this circuit and see it work fine?

Ron