1-bit, 8 input multiplexer

enjoiful

Joined Jun 20, 2008
I am looking for an IC that uses at least a 1-bit select line to output 8 lines.

I'm interfacing with CMOS circuits so I would like to keep the multiplexer in the same logic family, but I am flexible if there is a better alternative.

Essentially I need a select line that chooses between 2 input lines that are 8 bits each.

Anyone have any suggestions?

thingmaker3

Joined May 16, 2005
What you seek is called an "8 bit 1 of 2 multiplexer" or "8 bit 1 of 2 switch." I don't know of any CMOS versions. (Of course, the universe is chock-full of things I don't know about.)

SgtWookie

Joined Jul 17, 2007
Take a look at a Dallas/Maxim MAX4890E or MAX4892E.

They're designed for 1000-base T LAN switches, but they should do the trick for you.
http://para.maxim-ic.com/en/search.mvp?fam=swmux_mid&tree=master
Once the page opens, select "2:1 Mux" under "Configuration", and 8 bit under Chan.

If you can't deal with that package, then you could use three CD4053B IC's; they're triple 2:1 analog muxes. Tie the unused inputs from the leftover channel to Vdd or Vss with resistors unless you like pulling your hair out trying to figure out where the doggone noise is coming from. Floating inputs on analog muxes will give you just as big of a headache as floating digital CMOS inputs.

Last edited:

enjoiful

Joined Jun 20, 2008
Thanks SgtWookie, both of those options are great. That Maxim website was really cool in that allows you to custom build parts.

I think I am going to stick with the CD4053 though. A little extra breadboarding never hurt anyone.