1.5 Volt AA Battery Charger

Discussion in 'The Projects Forum' started by RodneyB, Mar 10, 2013.

1. RodneyB

RodneyB Thread Starter Member

I am wanting to build a Battery charger for a 1.5 volt AA Battery. Can any one assist with a circuit diagram.

Best wishes

Rodney
  2. Papabravo

Papabravo AAC Fanatic!

Generally speaking they cannot be recharged. NiMH batteries at 1.2 Volts may be rechargeable, and the charger at Radio shack is $9.95. Carbon-Zinc and alkaline cells are not.
  3. RodneyB

So then it would be better to put two 1.2 Volt batteries in Parallel getting 2.4 Volts then Regullllate them down to 1.5 Volts. I still need the circuit of the charger as I want to build it as its housed in a special box with a PCB driving other circuits as well.
  4. antonv

antonv Member

Putting them in series gets you 2.4V.

What kind of batteries are they? (Alkaline, carbon-zinc, NiCd, NiMH?)
  5. RodneyB

I would be putting the 2 x 1.2 Volt NICAD batteries in series to get the 2.4 Volts then I will regulate it Down to 1.5 Volts, I am driving a clock which needs 1.5 Volts. So I am going to need to charge the batteries at 2.4 Volts then regulate to 1.5 Volts. The low drop out voltage regulator is the next challange
  6. davebee

davebee Well-Known Member

Do you have any idea what voltage range the clock will run from?

If it was designed for 1.5 volt alkaline cells, it may be able to run from 1.2 volts directly, since alkaline voltages run down past 1.2 volts as they discharge.
  7. NFA Fabrication

NFA Fabrication Member

This guy beat me to what I was gonna say. Any more details on exactly what you are trying to do? I see more and more issues with getting answers to posts around here because the OP is trying to "Simplify" the explanation thinking they are making it easier to answer...