1.2ghz transmitter

BIGPISCIOTTA

Joined Dec 3, 2012
I just finish building a 1.2ghz video transmitter . Work great . When install it in a metal case it goes to pot . Can it be cause by the pcb dielectric . How can i correct this problem . If i left the board off themetal botton of the case it works fine . Put a paper spacer betweem the case and pcb it works fine

BIGPISCIOTTA

Joined Dec 3, 2012
View attachment 1[/ATTACH]
I just finish building a 1.2ghz video transmitter . Work great . When install it in a metal case it goes to pot . Can it be cause by the pcb dielectric . How can i correct this problem . If i left the board off themetal botton of the case it works fine . Put a paper spacer betweem the case and pcb it works fine

Attachments

kubeek

Joined Sep 20, 2005
First, are you sure you are not shorting the connections with that metal box?
Second, have you checked how far from the box you need to be to get it to work?
Can you post some photos of the actual board and enclosure?

kubeek

Joined Sep 20, 2005
well, the schematic looks really dodgy, for example the capacitor close to the VCO looks connected wrong, the emmiter of the second transistor doesn´t go anywhere, etc.
Really, a good design starts with a perfect schematic.

As to your problem with the case, you are clearly seeing the effect of the stray capacitance that this metal plate creates when close to the pcb components and tracks, so just mount it on standoffs and call it a day.