0-100 kHz Step up transformer

Discussion in 'The Projects Forum' started by niallmoconnor, Oct 9, 2008.

1. niallmoconnor

Thread Starter New Member

Oct 9, 2008
    Hi everyone,

I am currently building an experimental atmospheric pressure plasma chamber. For my research, I am looking into designing a variable frequency (0-100 kHz) power supply. For this power supply I am using a signal generator coupled through an audio amplifier which will give me approx 250 V out up to a frequency of c. 95 kHz with a 3 dB roll off at that point. I would like to step-up the sinusoidal signal to c. 5.5 kV (maximum value) from here with a suitably designed transformer stage. On the input side we can have a max value of 10 A. Anyone with info on how I should approach this?

Thanks in advance,

Niall

2. scubasteve_911

Dec 27, 2007
    You didn't specify output current requirements. I can infer the 2500W input, so ~450mA output? This is lethal to say the least..

I would look into tesla coils and how people make them. Clearly, you cannot use a regular transformer because of the high frequency. You would have to go air-core or perhaps you can find ferrite. Tesla coils work on a type of resonance to get to their high voltage values, so, if you want to adjust the frequency, you cannot use the same method.

Good luck

Steve

3. beenthere

Retired Moderator

Apr 20, 2004
    The range of frequencies is not possible with a single transformer. Especially the DC part (0 Hertz). Here is a link that may help - http://www.smps.us/magnetics.html.

4. scubasteve_911

Dec 27, 2007
    whoops, I missed the down to DC part! Seriously man, if you're going to build something like this, you should find someone with expertise to be there with you through the process. Remember, jack of all trades, master of none.

Steve