All About Circuits Forum  

Go Back   All About Circuits Forum > Electronics Forums > General Electronics Chat

Notices

General Electronics Chat Discussion forum for general chat about anything electronics related, including asking questions about material in the All About Circuits E-book, Worksheets, and Videos.

Reply   Post New Thread

Old 03-05-2008, 06:03 PM

Question Diode Formula (Equation)

Hello Group,

What is the standard formula for determining the diode value of any given circuit? (Using Volts @amps to determine values needed)

Please make this as simple as possible to determine. I'm on this site to seek expert advoce. My electronics is pretty basic.

Thanks In Advance for the help!

Livingwaters
Old 03-05-2008, 06:12 PM
Banned

Diodes are selected for a circuit by their voltage, current, power dissipation and speed ratings.
Old 03-05-2008, 09:58 PM

You should look at the Ebers-Moll/Shockley equations. They are pretty much the same equations expressed in different terms describing current-voltage relationship of a diode.

Dave
Old 03-05-2008, 10:11 PM
E-book Developer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave View Post
You should look at the Ebers-Moll/Shockley equations. They are pretty much the same equations expressed in different terms describing current-voltage relationship of a diode.

Dave
Dave, I think you need to reread his question.

Livingwaters, diodes don't have values, like resistors do. They have part numbers, and each part has a set of specifications such as current rating, breakdown voltage, recovery time, etc.
Old 03-05-2008, 10:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron H View Post

Livingwaters, diodes don't have values, like resistors do. They have part numbers, and each part has a set of specifications such as current rating, breakdown voltage, recovery time, etc.
The notion of "values" is ambiguous and the OP states merely I and V, where Ebers-Moll defines the I-V characteristic.

The differential of Ebers-Moll is ∂I/∂V - the reciprocal of which at a given voltage will give a resistance at that voltage. Naturally the resistance changes with voltage.

Dave
Old 03-05-2008, 10:35 PM

Quote:

I suppose if you want to be picky, everything has a part number and you cannot associate anything to an exact value. Ie. A resistor isn't just a component with a value of resistance, it has an associated power dissipation, inductance, thermal noise voltage characteristic, tolerance, and thermal coefficient.

Steve
Old 03-05-2008, 10:56 PM
E-book Developer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave View Post
The notion of "values" is ambiguous and the OP states merely I and V, where Ebers-Moll defines the I-V characteristic.

The differential of Ebers-Moll is ∂I/∂V - the reciprocal of which at a given voltage will give a resistance at that voltage. Naturally the resistance changes with voltage.

Dave
I guess it is ambiguous, but his statement,
Quote:
My electronics is pretty basic.
led me to believe that Ebers-Moll is probably not what he is looking for. If you're correct, I will apologiz(s)e profusely.
Old 03-05-2008, 11:00 PM

Quote:
I guess it is ambiguous, but his statement,led me to believe that Ebers-Moll is probably not what he is looking for. If you're correct, I will apologiz(s)e profusely.
Seems a fair assessment, perhaps clarity is required from the OP. Apologies not required

And its apologise!! (As the lonesome Brit I'd be out-numbered on this one!)

Dave
Old 03-05-2008, 11:02 PM
E-book Developer

Quote:
Originally Posted by scubasteve_911 View Post
I suppose if you want to be picky, everything has a part number and you cannot associate anything to an exact value. Ie. A resistor isn't just a component with a value of resistance, it has an associated power dissipation, inductance, thermal noise voltage characteristic, tolerance, and thermal coefficient.

Steve
OK, Mr. Spock.
Old 03-05-2008, 11:11 PM
Banned

Hi Dave,
You are a Brit?

I was in London one time. I remember Picadilly Circus, a foreign language called Cockney and cars driving on the "wrong" side of the road.
Reply   Post New Thread

Tags
, ,

Related Site Pages
Section Title
Worksheet Class A BJT amplifiers
Worksheet Bipolar junction transistors in active mode
Worksheet Zener diodes
Video Lecture Diode Characteristics - Diode and Diode Circuits - Diodes and Diode Circuits
Textbook SPICE models : Diodes And Rectifiers
Textbook Special-purpose diodes : Diodes And Rectifiers
Textbook Zener diodes : Diodes And Rectifiers
Textbook Diode ratings : Diodes And Rectifiers
Textbook Introduction : Diodes And Rectifiers
Textbook The P-N junction : Solid-state Device Theory